Inter Connects - What I know and don't know

I've been researching Balanced Cables in anticipation of adding a new pair of mono-blocks (Atma Sphere Class - D) to my system. I'm hoping some of you who know a thing or two about cables might help me (us) clarify or demystify certain assumptions.   

My assumptions:

- You get what you pay for ($300 Brand X will produce more detail than say $60 Mogami Gold).

- The larger the gauge the better.

- Crimped and soldered connectors are better than screw tightened.

- Two or more large braided strands are better than several smaller gauge braided strands (all things being equal).

- Silver conductors are better sounding and measuring than Copper conductors.  

- Rhodium, Gold, Silver, Copper, & Brass, connectors objectively sound different. (as opposed to in your system).  

Remember, the more objective your responses are the more helpful they'll be to a majority of readers. 

Thanks in advance for your "feedback"

128x12869zoso69

@69zoso69 system sound is a very individual taste, only you can make the final decision on components and cables. With that said, take my comments as my opinions.

I use Mogami interconnects in my main system, and I think they offer a wonderful sound, and value. I build my own cables to keep the cost in check, and eliminate cable clutter. Each cable is made the exact length I want it. I have spent more on "better" bulk wire, and have a whole rack of interconnects that I have tested. There are others I have liked, but the Mogami really sounds great to me overall. Kimber PBJ is another cable I se as an outstanding value. I have another Kimber cable from "higher" up the line, and it's pretty good too, but I could easily live with the PBJ. I prefer my system sound signature to be warm and dynamic. I have McIntosh C2200 with Acrosound tube amps and GR Research XLS Encore speakers. I just can't justify spending $1000 on interconnects or speaker wires. Proportionately it makes no sense to  me. 

I would follow you dealers recommendation on the Mogami, get it in your system, and live with it for a while. Once you live with it and identify what you want to change, then start looking for a cable that fits that description. Maybe you will love the sound, and find yourself listening to the music and enjoying it, instead of wondering or worrying about how much your cables cost, what they are material or gauge they are made from, or what other people think of your selection. Good luck and don't forget to enjoy those new amps. 

I would follow you dealers recommendation on the Mogami, get it in your system, and live with it for a while.

+1,

@69zoso69 

I am running Mogami W2549 Balanced microphone cables w/ Neutrik Gold Connectors and love them. Many find the W2549 more neutral than Mogami Gold (W2534). You can order custom lengths at www.proaudiola.com  Enjoy the $$$ saved and musical presentation with the Mogami.

Bruce

Most of your assumptions are not real when it comes to sound quality. Each interconnect performs as a whole with the type of wire, connections etc. that was intended by the designer.

You probably need to actually try some yourself. Each has its own sonic signature.

ozzy

@m669326 -

The only way you can determine whether a, "better" cable might make a difference, when it comes to YOUR listening pleasure: AUDITION a few.    Their are a multitude of variables and no one can answer the question for you.

Ideally: that would take place with the intended gear, but: since Mogami's variants are preferred by the manufacturer of your target amps, you might begin by comparing other cables with one of theirs.

To me: the least painful way is renting test subjects from The Cable Company*.

ie: a pair of Kimber Hero or Silverstreak variants, in XLR, would cost under $100 to audition/compare, in your home, with your system and ears.

* https://www.usedcable.com/lending-library

some prospects:

https://www.usedcable.com/interconnect-cables/kimber-kable-hero-ag-xlr-3ft-1m-pair-interconnect-cables.html

https://www.usedcable.com/interconnect-cables/kimber-kable-silverstreak-xlr-3ft-1m-pair-interconnect-cables.html

https://www.usedcable.com/interconnect-cables/kimber-kable-carbon-xlr-5ft-1-5m-pair-interconnect-cables-18112.html