Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

Happy owner here!

I have the carbon fiber version in 9" length. To me it sounds a lot like the SME 3012R I have on the same table--very laid back, even-tempered. Unlike say the FR 64S, which is more in your face.

Never noticed more distortion, like IGD, with the Viv.

I would have imagined it might outperform the 3012R. The 9-incher in CF would be my choice too. Last time I was in Tokyo, prices there were about 60% of US prices. Still, more than $3K for the above version.

@lewm  +1 👍

Maybe this indicates that zero tracking angle error is not the Holy Grail some claim it to be.

I only hear great things from VivLabs users describing tangential like performance, easily warranting a debate for anti-skating vs. tracking error.

Interesting.

Also interesting is how the geometry standards that are held on to with such fervor were all calculated when mono 78’s were the gold standard.

Things have move forward a bit since then. Would be interesting to do a proper A/B  comparison between this and a more traditional arm of equal merit.

I find anti skate distortions to be very audible when setting up a new cartridge and dialing it in. Again, would love to do a proper A/B test.

Not going to judge something I have not heard. Look forward to seeing other’s experiences with this arm.

There are some who think anything other than a stone wheel with a wooden axel is snake oil. Just ignore them.

Skating force may not be an important factor in tracking error. Joe Grado believed so and didn't use anti-skate on his wooden tone arm. So did Ikeda-san whose early arms lack anti-skate. I have two - an FR29 and an FR54. I presently have the Coral Sleeping Beauty mc on the FR29. It tracks fine from outer to inner grooves. I don't hear any distortion at a tracking force of 2 grams. My preference is for linear- track TT's. I have five:  B&O, Marantz SL7U, Mitsubishi, Rabco and Revox. These have their own peculiar quirks!