Loud Snap at High Volume

I like to listen to orchestral music at fairly high volume.  I have Borresen Z2 speakers driven by a D'Agostino Progression Integrated in a fairly small room: 13x16x12.  At the peak of a crescendo, as you get in say the last movement of Mahler's 8th Symphony, the speakers will emit a loud snap, almost like the crack of a whip.  I haven't measured, but I doubt I have the level much over 90db.  I don't hear any distortion or break up before the snap. so it doesn't seem to be clipping.  Which I can't imagine happening with the power of the DAG (200w into 8ohms/400w into 4 ohm) into a relatively benign 89db sensitive speaker that doesn't dip much below 4 ohms.  I have read it could be loose speaker wire connections, and in fact the Shunyata Alpha V2 cable's banana connectors are not super tight at the back of the speakers.  Or could it be the Z2's ribbon tweeter breaking up?  Any insights would be welcome.

128x128stephendunn

The Borrensen web site says the tweeter crosses over at 2.5KHz.  That seems too high for the tweeter to generate a whiplash sound by itself.  However, my first guess goes with what Erik says -- a woofer bottoming out. That can make a cracking sound, particularly if the recording contains subsonic material. I heard one recording the other day where the musicians were on a wood platform. Everything sounded fine on my second system (no sub) but you could hear them stomping here and there on the main system with a subwoofer.  The sub didn't bottom out, but the noise wasn't very musical. 

If you have access to DSP or tone controls, it'd be interesting to see if the problem continues if youi back off a bit on the bass, or can cut the response below 30 or 40 Hz.

@erik_squires  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try that although the snap comes at high peaks not low.  Should have mentioned that.

@russ69 Wrote:

f you want to play loud and not damage loudspeakers you might want to look at loudspeakers that can do that with ease, like big horn systems.

I agree. It could also be the voice coil leads hitting the back of the woofer cone, at high excursions. 😎

Mike

You must be well over 90dB to cause the woofer to bottom out.  Use an SPL meter to accurately measure your listening levels.

Voice coils bottoming out make a "clunk" with a little ring in it. They do not "snap."

@stephendunn What are you using for a program source? Does the snap happen at the very same place in the music every time or only when the volume is up?