I feel bad for Generation X and The Millennial's

Us Baby boomers were grateful to have experienced the best era for rock/soul/pop/jazz/funk from 1964 thru 1974. We were there at the right age. Motown, Stax, Atlantic, Hi Records and then look at the talent we had. The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, James Brown, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery,  T Rex etc. Such an amazing creative explosion in music, nothing can beat that era.

I feel bad for the younger crowd Generation X and Millennials who missed it and parents playing their records for you it isn't the same experience, seeing these artists live years after their prime also isn't the same.

128x128probocop

Gen Xer here, I saw Pink Floyd in LA in the late 70s, David Bowie in Edmonton in the mid 80s, Beck in Geneva in the late 90s, and The Killers in Vegas in the late 2000s, however since then it's been hard to understand/appreciate and thus connect with hip-hop and rap, probably it's mostly me getting old and narrow minded - but then again the Brian Eno/Robert Fripp-inspired band Stars of the Lid from the 2000s sent me down the rabbit hole of 'eclectic' electronica/ambient "New Music". Every year lots of this stuff is produced but never finds a wide audience, nevertheless a LOT of it is fascinating and deeply immersive. My 21 year old daughter listens to Drake on her crappy Beats headphones etcetera and knows nothing about this genre, although kids her age are producing it. It does indeed seem the music scene has been atomized and siloed like so much else has via social media technologies. OTOH when I play her well-recorded "classic" Art Pepper-style jazz on my $$$$ hifi rig she is mesmerized and wants to share that with me, but is of course reluctant to risk sharing that newfound interest with her friends, so there is maybe something to the argument that new technologies and their subsequent market forces have decimated the incentives for music artists or even artists in general, and this has led to a dearth of quality artists/music/recordings.

@kairosman New technologies have given us life like recordings. DSD 128 is jaw dropping. Listening to music live has and will always be my first choice but my inability to travel as I once did makes it so that I’m dependent on audio playback. We are in a digital Renaissance and I have no regrets.

So sad, they never got to see Lawrence Welk while eating Swanson’s tv dinner with mom and dad. 

@goofyfoot agreed that streaming is fantastic and getting better SQ wise every day, so yes I am not a Luddite as many technologies are a blessing.

@oregon yup the 50s might not have been all about great jazz there was indeed a lot of shite on many levels, you're right that too much nostalgia is plain dumb.

The boomer sentiment of the OP aside, there´s one thought I keep having:

I actually pity the young generation for having everything instantly available. A sense of historicity is not part of experiencing music and the thrill of discovery is mostly gone.
On the other hand: The amount of people actually caring for these things has always been low.
Being into music and all that this entails changes. I´d also be disappointed if it always stayed the same.