13.2, 5.1 and so on. "the best seat in the house"

Perhaps with movies people enjoy the sounds of a monster coming at them from the left-rear. All of the best concert halls with live music I have seen from around the world....the music was in front of me with depth and left to right ....but nothing coming from the rear. Is this the fate of the high-end to be done in by B.S. of glorified T.V.?

]]

jusam

Movies are different that music.  In the case of movies, the idea is to immerse the viewer into the movie.   With Stereophonic reproduction, the idea is to replicate the sound stage in your living room.

I don't believe it is the future but I can see where some rock concerts may use multichannel to put you in the audience.  Likewise, in a symphony, you would hear clapping behind  you and to the sides as well as the front.   However, to get pure 3D sound, you do need at least three channels, something stereophonic systems don't have today.

This is why there is home theater and two channel audio for music. Completely different experiences. 

While it is true live concert hall venues have reflections from the sides and behind… the degradation of signal by incorporating all those extra channels are generally not worth it. So two channel audio is by far the best for music… concerts.

Movies… bullets flying behind… 5 or more channels sound great. You are distracted by the video so you don’t knotice the poorer sound quality. 

I have a separate 2 channel audio and home theater… you can see them under my UserID.

I tried for years to use a 5.1 system for stereo, spent big money on speakers and electronics (Macintosh-Anthem-Lexicon), that had "2-Channel Stereo" as an option, never sounded good unless video was playing. Finally gave up and got a nice two channel dedicated system for way less then what I paid for the 5.1 system. Glad I never tried to go up to 7.1 or 9.1 or whatever they are up to now to solve the problem. 

@deadhead1000 

Actually I went through the same song and dance until I bought an integrated amp with a home theatre bypass option. This allows a AVR that has the ability to pre out the front channels separately to use the integrated to power the front left and right speakers in a 5.1 system.

Best of both worlds.