Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

jafant - thank you for our welcome note. I'm glad I ve found you all and look forward to take part in the discussion. 

thieliste - in the moment I drive the 3.7s with a Bryston 4BSST2, preamp is a Bryston bp25, DAC a Bryston bda3. there are some updates planned in the long run, but I guess I will stick with Bryston. 

lloydviii - thanks for the room clarification. Whereas 12’x12’ is really bad, your room lies on the edge of the ’Bolt Area’ of ideal proportions. Your additional adjoining spaces almost always make things even better. Exposed glass is problematic. The record-making process assumes symmetry in the playback field. Work toward that however you can.

lloydviii

Excellent! Bryston and Thiel are sonic matches. Which brand(s) Cabling are you enjoying?

Happy Listening!

@lloydviii I had my CS3.7 in a room that was 12x 11 x 9. I added 4 extra feet by taking out a closet door and put my desk in the closet. I was able to make the CS3.7 get about 80% of its ability via 2 ways. I was never able to get 100% because the CS3.7 need space to breath, but what I did get was fatigue free and very good. I enjoyed the CS3.7 for about 2 years this way.

The first approach was with acoustic treatment from GIK.  Since it was in my office, I could do whatever I wanted so I added 7 acoustic panels from GIK with their remote assistance. This worked well.

I then called up Mitch Barnett from AcurrateSound.ca. 

Digital Room Calibration Services, Convolvers, Headphone Filtersets (accuratesound.ca)

I had read his book on DSP and said to myself that I needed to get in contact with him to help me out. It turned out that he had a DSP services company that could setup DSP Convolution filters remotely.

You need to first get a $100 mic and then a laptop to run the free REW acoustic measurements software. Mitch will give you email instructions on how to place the mic, run the test signal, and have REW measure the response in the room. A set of data files are created, and you upload them to his company. He will create 5 convolution filters (DSP) based on your goals and also standard frequency curves for you to decide which works best.

The limiting factor for people to use this is that you need to run either ROON or JRIver, and it only adds DSP to the digital stream. If you have analog sources such as a tuner or turntable, then this is not a solution for you. 

If this process works for you the results are excellent. This is also not the simple DSP that you see in audio gear. It is done using very expensive and complicated software. The final result runs on the streaming server before your DAC.