Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I find I gave two competing personalities when listening to my Stereo.  There’s Dr. Jekyll who loves music and is thrilled by great music in great sound.  Then there is my alter ego, Mr. Hyde, who scrutinizes every little sound emanating from the speakers and looks for something to criticize.  Mr Hyde only listens to the music to hear what it can give him sonically. These two characters are at war in me until one wins out and I can go on with my listening session.

How about you?

128x128rvpiano

I’m usually Dr. Jekyll, feeling fortunate to know that my current system sounds better than any I have owned before. Mr. Hyde occasionally appears when I start to wonder what this or that would sound like in my system if I could afford it. I don’t go there very often..

When I first got into this hobby, I definitely focused more on the technical aspects of songs. Now, the only time I listen critically is if there's a component change. Not to say I don't like listening critically to spectacular recordings, of course I do as do most of us.

You know you've hit the sweet spot with your system when you just listen to the music. That said, I still like to find the best recorded versions of what I like to listen to but won't lose sleep if I can't since it all sounds very good anyway.

Great thread!  I battle with this too. 

I do find carving out some alone time just to sit is very helpful.  A glass of scotch and some cannabis can do wonders here too. Another thing I do if my Dr. J is getting in the way a lot is to deprive myself of listening for a bit.  I find that when I return, Mr. Hyde's jubilation dwarfs Dr. J's negativity!

Just a needed correction:

Dr. Jekyll is the good guy.

Mr. Hyde is the monster.