Phono Stage upgrade to complement Dohmann Helix One Mk 2

Thanks to the recommendations from many users on this Audiogon blog, I think I was able to make a more informed purchase of a turntable, the Dohmann Helix One Mk 2.  I've really been enjoying the turntable for the past month!  

The next phase of my system now needs attention:  the phono stage.  Currently, I'm using a Manley Steelhead v2 running into an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 SE pre-amplifier (into Ypsilon Hyperion monoblocks, into Sound Lab M745PX electrostatic speakers). 

I've been told that I could really improve my system by upgrading the phono stage from the Manley Steelhead (although I've also been told that the Manley Steelhead is one of the best phono stages ever made).  
Interestingly, two of the top phono stages that I'm considering require a step-up transformer (SUT).  I'm not fully informed about any inherent advantages or disadvantages of using an SUT versus connecting directly to the phono stage itself.  

I suppose my current top two considerations for a phono stage are the Ypsilon VPS-100 and the EM/IA  LR Phono Corrector, both of which utilize an SUT.  I don't have a particular price range, but I find it hard to spend $100k on stereo components, so I'm probably looking in the $15k - $70k price range. 
Thanks. 

drbond

Dear @drbond  :  " In a couple of months..." every one has his own " strategy " to make tests/comparisons.

For me 2+ months is non adequated because in that time our ears/brain will be accustom to that specific sound overall " colorations ". Rigth now you like what you listen to and I think is the rigth time to start to make the voltage vs current comparisons, doing it before our brain been a little or to much sticky with the current mode. Could be that maybe you will like more one of your cartridges with the current mode and the other with the voltage mode. Again, I think is the rigth time.

But as I said each one decides about.

R.

Take a view on  Tube Kronos Phono preamp

2 inputs, RIAA options full Tube Operation.

You can see it in my system, sounds superb.

So, it's been about 6 months since I bought the CH Precision P1/X1, and it has been a very good experience.  I haven't listened to any digital since I've had the P1/X1 installed, which is a good sign.  

The main distinction with this phono stage is that it does make me feel like I am at the venue, as opposed to making me feel like the performers are in the room with me.  I attribute the latter experience, of feeling like performers are in the room, to the "bloom" that comes with the tube sound.  I'll have to admit that occasionally, I do miss that "bloom" distortion, but I do get that experience if I switch out my Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 SE pre-amplifier with the Lamm L2 pre-amplifier, which gives more of a tube sound.  But one day of the "bloom" is enough for me, and then I begin to tire of it, and want the natural sound of the Ypsilon / CH Precision P1 combination.  Overall, I the phono stage produces significant clarity and detail, without becoming sterile.  

An audiophile friend, who's been in vinyl for decades (and mostly enjoyed a SET set-up) visited recently and listened to the P1/X1.  He was impressed so much that he bought one for himself.  While I never tried the voltage mode on this phono stage, he did try it.  He said that the background sound / noise was worse via the voltage mode, as compared to the current mode.  He also said that the voltage mode had less defined imaging. 

Thanks to everyone who recommended looking into these current mode phono stages.  

@drbond , my experience with current mode phono stages pretty much mirrors yours. 

Whether or not you hear the venue or get the effect that the musician is in the room is more a function of the recording than anything else. What I find the distortion inherent in many tube designs does is blur the image, Outlines become less distinct. Remember, we have essentially the same speakers. 

Not meaning to be combative, but referring to the capacity of a fine tube phono stage to “bloom” or to make the listener feel the musicians are in the room as “distortion “ seems a bit unfair, not to say unmeasured and therefore maybe not distortion. For one thing, creating those two sensations can have much to do with special qualities of individual recordings and with room acoustics. For another, I like those sensations. Ironically, Raul’s SS phonolinepreamp can do both. It’s superb in my estimation.