patricia barber - diana krall - holly cole

wouldnt that be awesome if they - toured together - tell me it wouldnt be sold out every night they played. 

128x128smargo

@tomcarr  , just some commentary which is off of OP's original topic, but I do remember reading about HDCD in Stereophile when it (HDCD) was a new thing, and I was intrigued.  I was always thinking I should have ordered my Muse DAC with the HDCD chip which was an option back then.  But I'd say HDCD must have fizzled?  By most standards, I have A LOT of CDs, & HDCD was never a factor that caused me NOT to buy one.  But with all these CDs, I can only off hand think of four that are HDCD and I probably own a few HDCDs that I am not thinking about, but not many.

But SACD, in my opinion, is a different animal.  A good SACD (and admittedly, not all of them are, for example I am most disappointed with the Japanese SACDs I have bought) truly does, to my ears, sound a cut above everything else I have heard in my system.  (But s I previously noted, I don't have vinyl.)  I'd almost go as far as saying that, although some are better than others, I have not (yet) bought any of the MFSL crop of SACDs that have disappointed me. 

@immatthewj Yes, my few HDCDs don't sound better, and some sound worse, than my standard CDs. My SACDs, like yours, do sound better, and some sound phenomenal.

@tomcarr  , I guess since I've already strayed from the OP, I may as well stray a bit further.  As far as classic rock, these days I limit it to buying & listening to certain remasters that I hope will provide a good sonic presentation.  I keep checking MD to see if MFSL's "Hotel California" has progressed from TBA to being a thing.  So far it still hasn't, but when it does I will order it.  I have the DCC red-book reissue, and to my ears it doesn't sound good enough any more that I play it other than on a blue moon; I did buy the Japanese SACD, but to me, it sounds even thinner and less of everything than the DCC red-book does.

To justify that ramble above, back on topic:  do you have Patricia Barber "Companion" original red-book or any of the red-book remasters or the SACD remaster?  If so I am curious as to how you would grade them.

@immatthewj , check out the song Hotel California off the album Hell Freezes Over. It's a live version and I rate it class A.

Not sure about other P Barber albums I have, if any. Will check and let you know.

Thanks, @tomcarr  , I just did a quick search & MD has the LP (which won't fit inside my CDP) and then I took a look on ebay & I saw one by SMH . . . I've found that SHM usually does a pretty good red-book.