Starting from Basically Scratch. Help me power some Wilson Watt Puppys

Alright hopefully the title explains the basics. I just made a deal on some Wilson 4Ω Watt Puppys (Series 7), along with a self powered Wilson Watch Dog.

Starting from scratch for PreAmp/DAC/Amp. This is actually to use primarily Firestick, Chromecast, and PS4 (I have a bunch of consoles, but those all get HDMI combined into one HDMI port and sound is not priority these obviously). Music is pretty varied. Hip Hop, Orchestral, Jazz, etc. Will likely try to stream some Hi-Res Audio where I can, but can tackle that bridge later, but keeping that in mmind for components today...

I’m OK with all in one Integrated. I’ve been looking at the Linn Majik, which looks like it would do everything, with 43-100W of Power (power depending on generation I find). I feel like the Puppys would want more power though.

Also looking at splitting everything up with Schiit components.

I really like the look of the Devialet Expert 200-220.though I would need a pre-amp to get all the sources to that one. Can find that for $2k-$3k used

I’ve always loved the idea of McIntosh, but the budget won’t allow it here.

I have a fair knowledge background in car audio, but the more I look at home audio, I see huge differences that I haven’t learned yet. For Example High end big speakers, talking about "minimum power of 12w" etc.

Thoughts? It’s always fun to spend someone else’s money right?

Thanks everyone that reads this chapter one of my book.

Kurtis

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcaptainswankypants

@designsfx That Plinius looks gorgeous, One I have never heard of though.... 🤔

@audiotroy and others with experience with puppies...At what point am I looking at too much power. I am coming across some things like the NAD M33, that has power @ 4Ω neighborhood of 400w... When is too much? 

I know I said $2k-$3k to start off with, but I'll be honest. This ENTIRE endeavor started with me thinking the new Devialet Mania was kind of cool (A freaking $800 wireless speaker), and it's turned into looking at Self Powered/Contained Devialet Phantoms, and now a well over a $10k ordeal. 😂 🤣

I don't know about you, but I've never seen a Hearse being followed by and armored car. Can't take it with me right? 😉

I am driving a pair of WATT/Puppy 6's in my home theater system with a pair of Bryston 7B ST monoblocks, rated 500 W at 8 ohms with a high current configuration of 800 W at 4 ohms or lower.

The W/P 6 can be a difficult load with an impedance dip at certain frequencies, so I opted for the Bryston monoblock, a gutsy amp with enough clean power and tolerant of difficult impedance loads.

Granted they are an older design, but I see a pair for sale NOS for $2850.

Your sources are a problem. A Firestick, Chromecast and a PS4 are HDMI and all of the above suggestions short of the Linn piece aren't compatible with HDMI. That being said, if those sources are going into a TV and you plan to use the optical out of the TV into the Hegal for instance then that would work. Otherwise your current sources need to be figured out first since there's no information you mention on how you plan to get audio out of those.

I would not buy the used Spectral as you are limited on the cableing and most likely would need a matching Spectral preamp as well.  There is better for far less $$$. There are plenty of high powered, high amperage amps available on this site.