Did you ever buy too much bass?

I talk a lot about bass and integration of subwoofers in a system and I realized that I need to hear more about the experiences auidphiles have when they go buy speakers and put them in a room.  Did you look at specs?  Did you audition in the home?  Did you end up with too little or too much bass compared to what you were expecting??

erik_squires

I put a Swarm in my VW van and us it to extract revenge from those young upstarts  when we are at a stop light. 

@erik_squires Thanks! I have my sub in the worst spot according to your web tool. I live in a flat, so space is at a premium. I guess I could use the sub as a footrest or a low side table? 

I thought I could EQ with the Bluesound Node 2021, but I messed around with the app several times and I can't figure it out. My amp has basic treble and bass adjustment, but not a real EQ. 

@kokakolia

Strongly encourage you to move the sub first. Then it’s pretty easy to view the problem using the right tools like Room EQ Wizard and a calibrated mic or OmniMic.

If you don’t want to move the sub, you might try EQ route first.

Measure the sub alone first, and clip the peaks. Then try to get a descending slope from 20Hz to 100 Hz or so, about 1.25 to 1.5 db/octave. Then set the crossover frequency for smoothest transition.

If you had not said space was at a premium I'd suggest corner bass traps/soffit traps as great additions.  Maybe your next place. :)

Thanks! I just moved in LOL! To be frank the sub is almost always off. But when I have the time during a weekend I'll definitely move the sub around. 

Hey! Small update. I accidentally swiped left on the BluOS app for the Bluesound Node and found the audio menu! It only took me 2 years. Wow. 

So the crossover point for the sub (in the app) was set at 40Hz, I bumped it to 80Hz... and problem solved! 

So now the Node is only sending 80Hz and up towards the speakers. I notice a leaner sound, but then the sub sort of compensates for that. 

It's hard to say that it's life-changing however. I notice extra bass. But the speakers sounded really good on their own already.