room size question.

( wasnt sure what category to put this in ,so figured this one would get more views)

in watching some you tube videos, one from Jays audio lab, and another one from Paul ( ps audio ), they both mention how the speakers should be set up in the room and it seems they bring them out into the room quite a bit.    they say that when this happens, you have the soundstage and jay was mentioning that there are layers that one gets to hear when listening.

my question i guess is that can this same thing happen in a smaller room, say 12x12 or is one just limited to say center imaging due to room size ?

room is treated

this is the ps audio video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63RORq8JMw

jays video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOWcvbfNZw

bshaw

@bshaw  

according to your measurement your room is only 9 feet wide , not 12x12 .

What are your room measurements ?  

@bshaw 

My room is also 12x12 but one size doesn’t fit all due the characteristics of the speaker so experimentation is key. In my situation, the front center of the speakers are 44” from the front wall and 36” from the side walls. So my speakers are approximately 6’ from each other and my sitting position. This resulted in a large soundstage both side to side and front to back. Just as important is the toe-in. Too much and you lose some of the soundstage and too little you lose some of the center imaging. 

Best wishes experimenting.

@bshaw 

OK  , measuring your speakers ( great looking ) from the center to the side wall at 36" , that would leave you with 62" center to center .  Are you measuring from the front wall to the rear of the speaker ? or to the speaker ? 

Have you tried the acoustical panels on the side walls and the diffusers on the back wall ?

@ronrags @vair68robert 

i measured from the back wall to the back of the speaker.     should i measure it from the center of the speaker or the front of the speaker to back wall ?

for the measurement for the side, i am doing from wall to just to the side of the speaker that would face the side wall.     should i measure to the center of the speaker instead ?

i have not tried the acoustical panels in the side walls and diffusors on the back wall.          the diffusors that i have, they cant be hung on the wall.