Qobuz dropping rights to my favorites. A pox on their house.

So, I favorite something on Qobuz, come back a few months later and SHAZAM, it's gone. "The rights holders have not made this content available to listen." This seems to be a growing problem for me and I doubt I';m the only one. WTF?? To add insult to injury, I take a look at Amazon (to which I do not subscribe) and there it is.

Qobuz is the only paid service I use. Tidal has too much overlap to be worth it and I find MQA dubious anyway. Amazon's march towards world domination is troubling and I just plain don't like Apple stuff. But my partner uses AppleMusic (I think) and reports similar annoyances.

This leaves me both perplexed and annoyed. I've been slowly culling my CD's, LP's and server library with the assumption that streaming service libraries would grow, not shrink. It's also in keeping with my wish to release my attachments to mere things. I'm coming to feel that this may be a grave error - in the realm of music what we don't physically possess, be it CD, an LP, BR disk or a data file, we never really possessed at all. I'm not content to live off memories of how much I once enjoyed hearing something. I might want to hear it again! So, as far as web/streaming content goes I'm moving back to downloading stuff so it can't be arbitrarily taken away from me.

Anybody else mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore? Bah, humbug! And Happy New Year

128x128kletter1mann

I first noticed the disappearing albums in the Amazon Music app and it's been quite disappointing.  Didn't know the same would happen in Qobuz so thanks for the heads up.  I've just not seen it yet since I joined about four months ago.

Fascinating @tonywinga . What a cool field trip. Sony also made black discs for the Play Statiion. Always wondered why, and how they worked?

Expect lots more catalog deletions at all the streaming services. Audio services try to have everything. Not so with video streaming companies. Too expensive. 

Thanks,

aldnorab

It's happened a few times, but with so much content I just move on to new favorites!

I'm surprised this doesn't get talked about more often.  With streaming, your at the mercy of that service changing that "albums" provenance anytime they wish and you may never be the wiser.  it's unfortunate.  It may be removed altogether or with a different mastering version.  It doesn't happen that often, but it still sucks.  Actually happened today ironically.

I'm still a big advocate to owning music and curating your local library for many reasons.  Streaming isn't going away, and I subscribe to Qobuz (using it inside of roon w/ HQP) but I'll never do away with my local lib and going 100% streaming and getting rid of ones local lib makes no sense.  I still buy/keep adding to my local lib.

I purchase music on Qobuz from loved artist and will store it on an external drive, that way the artist will get the most out of it. As for albums disappearing, I notice it when a song get skipped while on a playlist. This has been happening for more than a year now and when I don't find the album again after few weeks,  I'll buy it in hi res and will have it for ever. Spotify is awesome too discover, Qobuz to listen and eventually buy. Amazon is a no go, same for Apple music, just from personal preference.