The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
My Kharma Exquisite Reference 1Ds are finally here and i agree with the "golden ears" that have heard them so far that say they are the best speakers they have heard. Totally seamless and balanced from top to bottom, bass extending below 20hz (no, i have not yet measured it but this is the perception of 3 or 4 of the most knowlegable people to hear it), completely disappearing, the purest mid-range, extended treble, very dynamic, and super detailed but also completly natural......it is, dare i say, about perfect.

The Exquisites are 48 inches tall plus a 5 inch stand, they weigh 565 pounds each with stands. Their cabinet is completely non-reasonant which is responsible for the amazing bass articulation, extension, and integration. For details look at Jonathin Valin's review from Absloute Sound from fall 2000.

The 1Ds mate perfectly with my 75 watt OTL Tenors and look and work great in my 12 foot wide room. I have not stopped grining for the last 2 weeks. I have invited over 7 local audiophiles and industry experts to give me some objective feedback and they have all fallen under the same spell as myself.

The scarey thing is that i am told the Exquisites take about 9 months to 1 year to fully break-in. If you want to hear a speaker that has ALL the pieces but ultimately gets out of the way of the music, here it is. You have a hard time thinking "bass" or "soundstage" or "dynamics" because you are concentrating on the performance and the musical message......really something very special. It is an privildge to have these speakers in my room.

These 1Ds are the first 1D set in the world. They differ from the 1C in that they go lower (i am told some useful output to 16hz but probably not in my room), are bi-ampable, have cryo'd internal wires and crossovers, and have special damping on the crossovers.

Simply.....the best.
What is the best loud speaker I have heard ? I have traveld many of miles to hear the best speakers avalible. Have allways kept my opinion to myself. But I think I Am very Qualifed, In my own opinion. To the best of all my experienced. First It all depends on the sound you prefer? Do you like your sound up front?Have you ever experienced,live music?to what existent. Do you like the sound of the middle? Do you like the rear of the hall? To many verbals. I think we all have to go lisnten the live music we love. Forget all the hype you read. Not to say that they do not do business all to well. They just do it from ther own prescriptive. First of all, you are in to the sound you most relate to. We all have diferntent ideas on what is correct. I have my own , opinions on what is the closest to live music that I have ever heard .Not to say it should be yours. Just to say it is my preference.First of all we have to examine what our listening preference are. What ever is the closest to your own preference. We are not all the same, that is what makes us all individuals. We all have are own sound preference.My suggestions,first you find your listing pleaure. It can only be what you asscoiate with live music.Enough said. My picks for dynamic loud speaker has to go to the revel salons.Most realistic mid range is the new Martin Logans.Best valule for the money Thiels PSB Vandersteens.What you have to remember is you have to go out,and listen for yourself.We are all different. So only you can pick the speakers that is to your liking. Do not give credance to reviers,or friends that think that they are audiophiles.Go out,and judge for your self. Then buy it,and what ever some one else has to say, tell them that is your choice,for your preference.And if they do not like your pick who gives a shit.Life to short be happy with your own choice.Yes I have heard all no cost mega speakers,and yes they are superior.But at what cost? To much out there for a fraction of the cost tha will make you just as happy.
Nice topic, great to see wide range of tastes and broad selection of fine speakers!