Want to add vinyl to my system.

Hello all, 

I have an all digital system with a Lumin x1 streamer, Oppo 203, B&W speakers, Classe Sigma SSP, and Mac 611’s.  I want to now add vinyl into my system abd need a new turntable and phono stage.  I have been considering the Rega 8 or 10.  What do you think of the Rega’s, and which phono stage would you recommend?

128x128bwguy

I put together my first analog system since my last system 20 years ago. I did so over eight months and learned a lot, but spent many times what I expected. I only had 150 albums when I set out to build a system. In the end I ended up with a fantastic analog and digital system, but to do so, I spent almost twice on the analog vs digital. If I include the next 150 albums, the difference is even greater.

Was it worth it? Would I do it the same if I were starting over today, one year later? I’m not sure. I started out with a belief that analog was a better, more musical reproduction. I discovered that digital reproduction could rival, or almost rival analog. So, the question that you might ask yourself is, what would your digital side sound like after putting that analog money into upgrading your digital.

You don't need to spend a fortune. Use LPs sound better than most audiophile reissues. Re: Turntable and Phono stage...just buy used.

Personally I prefer turntables that use a detachable headshells. It makes changing, aligning and handling cartridges so much easier. 

Get the best turntable and phono stage you can afford.

I’ll stay out of the gear recommendations part and make a few observations as a long time vinyl lover.

If you are committed to the format, your records will eventually exceed the value of the phono front end, which includes turntable/arm/cartridge and phono stage with associated wiring.

There are some pretty good deals on new vinyl being produced through Blue Note/Tone Poet and the Verve/uMe series from Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds. None of those are terribly expensive new and their QC is decent (though with vinyl, even the fancy audiophile stuff, QC is almost always an issue). These are jazz records, not necessarily "out there" stuff, but not "lite" either. 

Most new reissues of classic rock warhorses are going to be derived from a digital file which isn’t per se bad but you can hear differences between different pressings and once you dig into the "classic rock" field, you’ll see that there are multiple versions of some records that are highly regarded-- sometimes there is no "best" but different strengths and weaknesses. Older threads on the Hoffman forum where comparisons are made can be valuable (a post just saying "oh, I got this copy, it sounds great" is meaningless).

With used records or old copies (even if they purport to be sealed/dead inventory), you’ll have condition issues- these days grading is inflated as are prices on a lot of the more desirable records.

You will need a way to effectively clean the records. That does not have to be a huge investment, but takes some time to get an effective method that does not leave residue and doesn’t involve so much time or effort that it robs you of enjoyment.

Flattening is a hit or miss proposition- both old and new records can be warped.

I had enough records to justify the outlay for a substantial record flattener and it has been a lifesaver for me--since many of these records are long out of print, private label and very hard to find. Not cost-justified for most people- there are a few services that will do it for a fee.

Guess I’m just offering you a reality check on what "getting into vinyl" means.

I’m a believer in buying the best you can afford simply because, with care and maintenance, most of this stuff, except for the cartridges, can last a lifetime.

There’s lots of info on "bargain cartridges" that perform well. Trying to hear differences between turntables, arms and cartridges is practically impossible.

We did a comparison at @Albert Porter’s last month between two top dog cartridges- each mounted on an identical arm on the same table. Albert was able to switch between them, compensating for gain differences. The differences were discernible.

There’s a lot to dig into, some basic skills you’ll probably want to acquire in terms of set up and despite the fact that you probably can’t do meaningful comparisons in a shop, it might pay to get a little seat time and hands-on experience with what you are considering. Welcome to the rabbit hole. It is deep (though it doesn’t have to be), has some twists (beware of marketing hype and reviews disguised as advertorials) and can involve the study of history, how records are made, lots of minutiae, like decoding deadwax to understand which pressing you have to hand and other stuff that may seem like heavy nerdsville or an opportunity for exploration, depending on your interest.

Good luck- one of the best things about vinyl for me is chasing down old obscure records that I like listening to- not for collectability but for enjoyment. And the "hunt" is part of the process, once you know what you are looking for.

Bill Hart

@mijostyn

+1

He brings up a very valid point. At this point in time without a huge collection of albums (I have 2,000 mostly in pristine condition and many of audiophile pressings) you have to put a high value on nostalgia or just putting the funds into high end streaming is a way better way to get to really high end sound… and it really is the future… and it will only get better.

I stream 95+ % of the time. My vinyl and digital playback has the same sound quality and cost (~$45K for each vinyl and digital ends)… if I vinyl was not ingrained in the last 60+ years of my life listening to music, then a $90K digital end would be better sounding than my analog rig or my digital end. So, if I didn’t have my record collection, I would not waste my time on it.