Speakers that are good with tubes

I have see several recommendations against tube amps powering certain speakers. But which speakers are known to really like time amps, especially high powered tube amps?

lewl28

@hilde45 Yes, transformers are key to tube amp performance but now you are getting into tube amp selection.  The original question was about speaker selection.  BTW, the transformers for my new custom tube amp are hand wound in Bulgaria.  Most expensive component in the mix.

Yes, transformers are key to tube amp performance but now you are getting into tube amp selection.  The original question was about speaker selection

Correct.

Charles

Hi lewl28,

I’m the happy combo owner Atma-Sphere MA-1/ Soundlab U-545.

From symphonic to female voices, from bass to cymbals, the best I ever had.

Total satisfaction every time I turn it on, as Sinatra said: “You do something to me, Vudu”

Very important, Diffusion! It helps to deliver the best inside electronics.

@carlsbad @charles1dad

It does seem like transformers are a bit far away from the OP’s question.

I went there because there was an assumption that a fairly narrow range of speakers are tube-amp friendly.

What I think has been established is that there is

(a) a wider range of speakers friendly to tubes than assumed.
(b) a need to understand what a specific speaker’s performance is regarding impedance
(c) a need to understand the capability of a given tube amps' performance.

My  comment about transformers relates to (c) which bears on (a).
In other words, if the OP had found a speaker with reasonable impedance performance, then the question would become how well can a given amp perform? Part of answering that question would depend on (c).

Of course, the OP may be perfectly happy or stuck with their amp, in which case they could assess the quality of the transformer on it in order to see how variable their speaker choices are.

@hide45  Good summary.  Hopefully the OP hasn't bougth or at least married to a tube amp yet.   To me they should be bought as a pair, however, there is a lot of wiggle room in choosing both.  For example, I recommend an SET.  However, my current primary amp is not an SET, it just sounds like one (Decware ZMA).   A lot of people like horns, I've never found them to suit my preference.  I am currently listening to a very well designed pair of 4 way speakers with a high sensitivity, very flat frequency response, and excellent phase performance.  Midrange to die for. 

But in general my suggestion is less than 10 watts in an SET, and the best deisnged high sensitivity speakers you can find.

Jerry