DAC recommendations

Okay. So, before this becomes the typical dac battle, let me explain what I have and what I’m looking for. My system consists of an Aric Audio Custom 300b PSET amp(almost always in class A set mode), Audio Note an-e/lx speakers, Cambridge cxn v2 streamer modified by ModWright tube dac and a Topping d90 dac. I can switch back and forth to get a tube sound from the ModWright or a more “accurate” depiction of the recording through the Topping. After a few months, I think I want something in the middle. The tube dac lacks a little clarity and the Topping is very critical of poor recordings. Both have their times when they sound better but I’m seeking a middle ground. 
Here’s what I’m looking for. I would like clarity, without being analytical. But most of all, I want natural sounding! I want a piano to sound like a piano etc…Lastly, I prefer a bit more bass and less bright sounding. Does this dac exist?

Ive looked at the Denafrips Terminator 2 and would prefer not to spend $6800. Does the Venus 2 fit? Bricasti m3? Other suggestions? I have some high quality components and would like a dac to match. Thanks in advance 

earthbound

You might keep the Topping and add an equalizer to your system. It’s amazing how changing the tonal balance can change the whole character of the sound. In terms of sound quality, the Schiit Loki Max is outstanding IME.

@earthbound   I think you would find the Venus II a very worthy DAC, you can stream into it from your CXN until you retire it for a different streamer and get very good sound. The R2R DACs take a long time for break in.

I am seriously considering that option with the Venus 2. I’m surprised with sound comparisons just how different it sounds from the Terminator 2. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just different. I kind of like Thomas and Stereo and he uses one. It’s a bit of an endorsement. I also forgot to convert Singapore money to US, so Terminator 2 not too crazy expensive. Both good options if I choose to keep an external streamer. Would love to hear comparisons from people who have experience with both. 

@earthbound

Is going Wi-Fi wireless a viable option for you? Seems a good alternative if you for example get a good quality tri-band router. I believe that @ghdprentice is completely wireless with his Aurender server and said he has superb sound quality.

Good advice from those recommending a better streaming source in Qobuz. You have a very nice audio system and may as well get the best possible result from it.

Charles

Thanks Charles. I’m a renter and access to the router is limited. I will look into that though. Qobuz looks like a definite. Meant to do it the first time around and got lazy with Apple Music.