Why is everyone so down on MQA?

Ok. MQA is a little bit complicated to understand without doing a little research. First of all: MQA is not technically a lossy format. The way it works is very unique. The original master tape (Holy grail of SQ) is folded or compressed into a smaller format. It is later unfolded through a process I don’t claim to understand. The fully processed final version is lossless! It is the song version from the original master tape. FYI, original master tapes are usually the best sounding, they are also the truest version of any song- they are painstakingly produced along with the artist in the studio during the recording process. Ask anyone, they are the real deal. For some reason most people hate the sound quality! One caveat, the folding/unfolding process is usually carried out at one time by a dac. But some dacs only compress and do not unfold….I think Meridian should explain dac/ streamer compatibility issue. When your hardware supports the single step the sound quality is pretty amazing. They should have explained in more detail what the format is all about.

128x128walkenfan2013

As said above, "MQA sounds processed." Does not sound like real music. For me that's where it starts and ends. Tried Tidal, loathed MQA, switched to Qobuz, happy ever since. Knowing the history, the technology, the rationales is worthwhile. But if you enjoy listening to a vaguely realistic rendering of actual musical sound performed in real space, you need only a pair of mediocre ears to determine that MQA is not your ticket. 

MQA lol! I thought this solution looking for a problem would have died already as well. And it does sound overly processed.

Hey, quit bashing on MQA. I think we can all agree it sounds better than: MP3, YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, Prime Music, AM Radio in your car and a Bose speaker covered with a black garbage bag.

@plaw

I like how you think.  MQA's motto should be "At least we don't suck!"

Perhaps we should be asking the doomsdayers what did you use to decode MQA that led you to your conclusion, or are you merely guilty jumping on the derogative bandwagon because you're a theorist and that's all theorists are capable of doing?