Amazon music vs Qobuz

I’m currently using Qobuz for streaming music. Amazon music is considerably less than Qobuz but I’m wondering what the differences are. Amazon goes on and on about commercial free music. Which makes me wonder how much is commercial free. Qobuz is 100% commercial free. 

z32kerber

@robshaw Goodonya for keeping an open mind on this, and you’ll be richly rewarded for any effort you make toward getting a separate streamer. BTW, totally agree with you on Qobuz, and I prefer the Amazon interface too but not at the expense of sound quality. Also, great choice on the Fritz speakers and not surprised you’re very impressed with them (maybe @erik_squires was the helpful member who recommended them?).

So, to answer your questions, I run Qobuz on my iPad/iPhone wirelessly through my iFi Zen Stream streamer. The Zen Stream doesn’t link directly to Qobuz (yet) so I spent $6 on an MConnectHD app that has an interface somewhat similar to the Qobuz site. The streamer can work over Wi-Fi, but it has issues with that so I’m going to use an Ethernet cable to get around that and will likely sound better as well. Since my router isn’t near my stereo I’m gonna use a TP-Link Wi-Fi extender (that plugs into an outlet) and run an Ethernet cable from that to my streamer. Then you just use whatever digital connection that works from the streamer to your DAC and you’re all set. Sorry for the long-winded reply but hope it helps.

Thanks so much. I don't want to spend a fortune on a streamer, but, you have me really curious now.  Reason, If I don't keep Qobuz,(Love the sound, but terrible interface)  the streamer will be wasted money, as no streamer really supports Amazon HD.  except the node,  which I don't want.  Is there a streamer available that is plug and play, easy hook up, easy interface,  and good to go right away. Yours sounds very difficult, I can see me putting my fist through the door while hooking it up. As I get older, very little patience. Thanks for all your help though. Much appreciated. Thank you  Robert

After looking at a couple of videos about the zen streamer, it doesn't sound to bad to hook up. Sounds like what you said. I guessing that that app you spent $6 for enables the ifi streamer to accept Qobuz?? other than that USB to USB  dac to streamer and use also Ethernet cable, for better connection. Your I phone in my case has to download and IFI app and the you would stream your qobuz app for song listings??? Pretty close?

I’ve used Amazon Music HD for the last year and recently signed up for Qobuz. I listen mainly through a Bluesound Node into a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 using the USB output. I have mostly enjoyed AMHD and find the service quite a bit better than Spotify in terms of sound quality. I cannot really compare AMHD to Qobuz on my main system, as I am having an issue with Qobuz. Disappointingly, through the Node, I find the sound quality from Qobuz inferior to AMHD, and Spotify for that matter.  The volume gain from the Node using Qobuz is very low. Even with the volume turned up on my integrated amp, the music sounds flat with reduced dynamic range. Vocals seem a bit muted, and the bass response is lacking. I have tried every iteration of settings in BluOs, including replay gain. As well, I tried the coax and optical outputs from the Node into the DAC – same issue. Airplay from the AMHD and Qobuz iOS apps offers the same result. I do find Qobuz marginally superior to AMHD through my PC based headphone setup.

Has anyone else experienced issues with the Node and Qobuz? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

@robshaw Heh heh.  I hear ya and I have little patients for tech snafus myself.  If you don’t like the Qobuz interface you ain’t gonna like MConnectHD any better, but I find it at least serviceable.  At $399 the ZS provides a lot of sound quality for the price, and if you go hard wired as I mentioned you shouldn’t have any problem.  But, there are other options out there that may work great for you.  Again, best of luck.