Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

@sdl4 you are most welcome. the original DSD DAC was revelatory and a big improvement on its predecessor, the PWD. the MKII is as big an improvement. the sound was great with the first DSD, but the two things i notice most with the new unit, is both more information but a much more relaxed and natural sound. The reduction in jitter (according to Paul) is why the sound is so much more natural and easy to listen to.

when they get the bugs fixed (mine has had none) i encourage you to audition it but give it two weeks of playing to break in.

I have had the pleasure of owning five generations of Theil speakers:

This is a very iffy statement to make due to multiple variables, and to the time issues, but i think the biggest jump in sound i got was between the 2.0 and 2.2, and between the 2.2 and the 2.4. what i am saying is that when you can, try to get a pair of the 2.4 or 2.4SE’s.

I am currently auditioning speakers to replace my 3.7’s, but so far both the Wilson Sabrinas and the Magico A5’s have not motivated me to make a change.

ronkent

Good to see you as always. Thank You for the PS Audio DSD DAC II. update.

There are several PS Audio threads here on the 'Gon that could benefit from your expertise.

Happy Listening!

Greetings everyone.

Am not too sure if this question has been asked before. I am curious and would like to hear from fellow Thiel speaker owners’ opinions with regard to the choice of a spike base/plate (or even a specific brand or material). Presently, I am in the market looking for a set for my 2.7.

It will be helpful to share some feedback and personal recommendations.

ydjames

Good to see you here today. Greetings. Now, to address your query. There is the original Thiel Audio Outriggers (spiked base) to consider. Sound Anchor might be an option? Stay tuned until a member of  the Panel's CS 2.7 owners chimes in as well.

Happy Listening!

About the wire thing - I’m living in that rabbit maze and it’s fascinating, complex and difficult. ll post more as I find time. A brief response to the ’solid or litz’ remark is YES. There are so many interacting variables of geometry, conductor purity, and insulation dielectrics that can go wrong in so many ways. George Cardas famously said (something to the effect of) ’solid conductors stay out of trouble easier’.

Fifty years ago (Thiel beginnings!), little credence was given to wire as a performance element. We gained access to (at that time) obscure and esoteric considerations about wire via our cousin Ted Lyon who was a senior physicist on the Jupiter Space Probe project. Ted introduced us to wire considerations and solutions which resulted (among other things) in our adoption of ultra pure, long crystal, polished solid conductors in teflon. That solution persisted through Jim’s career. It can be improved upon, but with peril and expense. I’ve presently been massaging those considerations and variables for a long time.

As time has passed, the term ’litz’ has faded from use due to foggy definitions. Originally it meant each individual conductor separately varnished (insulated), but came to apply to sub-bundles being varnished, which doesn’t address the inter-strand conduction problems. (That phenomenon is itself controversial.) That sense of no strands or conductors touching any others is the sense that Jim meant by 'solid or litz' being best. In today’s jargon, those individually litzed conductors would be called ’solid wire’, even if their gauge were smaller than a human hair.

Besides Thiel’s 18 gauge solid, and many others’ fine-gauge (individually insulated) solids, the foil category fits the isolation requirements. Jim used Goertz foil speaker wire in his later years. The thinness of foil conductors solves the skin effect problems of round wire as well as meets the individually insulated requirements for non-signal migration. But its inherently high capacitance makes it inappropriate for use with some amplifiers, and likely to perform differently among many amplifier choices. So I am avoiding that avenue.

I’ll come back with more comments and reports about my work over these last months. It’s quite a trip.