Vintage worth the time to explore?

I’m relatively new to this world (very fast learner) and would love to know your thoughts:

I have a pair of Elac Debut 6.2 and Klipsch KG3s….I drive them both with a Marantz PM6005 and have been relatively happy but sound really loses its warmth and color unless played LOUD. With 3 kids under 5 I’m looking for an amp to help provide warm, full sound at lower dBs.

I’ve been super curious about exploring other amp options and wanted to explore the vintage route (Marantz 2230, Sansui AU 717, Pioneer SA-8500)… but after seeing prices between 800-2k for 50 year old gear, I’m apprehensive.

Am I just lured by the idea of vintage?

butche34

Do you use the loudness or tone controls (bass/treble) on the Marantz?

DeKay

If you can find an older Sophia EL34 A/B for six hundred dollars or so and invest in a checkup by a qualified tech you'll be in great shape. The good news is that the JJ EL34s or 6CA7s are fine replacements and are not ridiculously expensive.

no, you will not get better performance from vintage amps compared to modern...

I had the Marantz 2238, the Pioneer sx-450, and the HK 430 all in my room and one after the other the little modest Marantz nr1200 bested them all in sound quality even with my vintage Epi 100 speakers.  All of the vintages were also already professionally restored, so no it's not the caps.  All of the vintages were sold... I was surprised, but there was no denying it: the new nr1200 was superior in all sonic respects.  My head to head testing cured my vintage jones forever.  

Plus, the nr1200 has all the modern features as well as vintage features like tuner, and bass/treble/balance knobs right on the front... check the thing out: it may solve all your problems for not that much money, around $600.  It's excellent, overall. 

It should match very well indeed with your ELACs, for sure.

Playing louder has at least 2 affects. For one our hearing response varies in the bass and treble with loudness. Both roll off earlier at low levels. Flat is around 100 dB if I recall correctly and that's too dam loud and can cause ear damage. Fortunately most software is engineered to sound good at lower levels. But mastering varies and the correct level can vary from recording to recording.

Another problem can be dynamic linearity(my handle). This isn't the ability to play loud cleanly(although that's a part of it). It's the ability to change levels accurately from micro to medium to macro, to not compress level changes. Unfortunately many recordings compress level changes. And the affect of this compression is most at low levels and playing loudly ameliorates this affect. Many speakers are guilty of dynamic compression. For lower level listening lack of compression is essential to sort of sounding live. Picking dynamic speakers is essential.