Ethernet Cables

Audioquest advertises a series of Ethernet cables they tout as improving sound quality. I have a BDP-1 digital transport that connects to the router via Ethernet cable.

Has anyone had experience with the effect, if any, of alleged higher quality Ethernet cables on sound quality in audio rigs where these cables are required, e.g., with streamers, digital ttansports, etc.? I am skeptical, but I was about power cables too but that disappeared soon enough.

Neal
nglazer
I was using a cheap Belkin 25 ft UTP CAT-5 cable to connect my PerfectWave to my router. I then bought a cheap SSTP CAT-7 cable to see if it made any difference. I swapped them back and forth several times and my impression was that the CAT-5 was a little more laid back and the CAT-7 a little more detailed. The time it takes to swap them is a factor though as the PerfectWave and router lose their DLNA connection each time so I have to do a reset on the DAC. I do believe there are likely differences between cables but in similarly constructed cables probably not enough to discern ... and I find it hard to believe that different metals alone create any differences assuming all are premium quality metals. The difference I thought I detected may be due to the shielded/unshielded difference between the 2 cables. The CAT-7 cable does have a different type of connector also that is shielded and uses gold-plated conductors, and seems to seat better.
There's a "sucka" born every minute...save your hard-earned dough unless you're independently wealthy and $ is no worry.
Ethernet cable might affect sound indirectly by capacitive or electromagnetic coupling of electrical noise to audio system. Other than that Ethernet cable transfers data and not the music. Data is transferred in packets (not in the real time). Timing for the DAC is recreated on the other side of the Ethernet Bridge. Cable cannot directly affect that.
I agree with all of the previous responses.

Assuming nothing is defective, and the ethernet link functions reliably, the only conceivable way in which the cable could affect what is heard is by coupling of noise to other parts of the system, including the D/A converter circuit where it might affect jitter, as well as analog circuitry.

You might find this thread to be worth reading, starting at the post at which the link opens. Member Bryoncunningham, in whose sonic perceptions I would have total confidence, reported a significant improvement going from unshielded cat5 or 5e to shielded cat6. The garden variety shielded cat6 he purchased I believe cost him something like one-half of one percent of the price of the top of the line AQ Diamond for a similar length (which, according to the link Mofi provided, would have been $5495 for the approximately 8 meters Bryon required).

Also, you don't say whether the connection from the router to the system is wired or wireless, but if it is wired, and depending on the cable lengths and the physical locations of the components, my instinct would be to be more concerned with the connection from the router to the system than the connection from the BDP-1 to the router.

The bottom line, IMO: If your present ethernet cable(s) are unshielded, and they are located near and/or are physically connected to the system, an upgrade could very well result in significant sonic improvement. But I don't see any reason to expect that the very expensive AQ cables would produce any more improvement than alternatives costing a miniscule fraction of their price.

Regards,
-- Al
Interesting discussion. I have an unusual wired setup. The router is in the basement, and I use a Netgear Powerline adaptor to "continue" the wired Internet setup to the LR where my stereo rig is. I plug an Powerline adaptor in the wall near my rig, and run an Ethernet cable from the adaptor to the Bryston BDP-1 digital transport. I have to check whether it is CAT 5, 6 or 7 Ethernet cable. It works fine, whatever it is.

Before I go spending the $$ trying the AQ Ethernet cable, I will try moving up the CAT ladder and see if that makes an audible difference. And if I do go the AQ route, it will have to be from a Seller with a generous return policy.

Thanks to y'all.

Neal