Amps for KEF Blade 2

I am looking for advice from owners or dealers of the KEF Blade 2 loudspeakers. I am concerned my current pair of amps will not be sufficient for the B2s because of an article written about the original Blades published on July 5, 2013 in The Absolute Sound:

"The Blades have a nasty kick in their crossover that will suck an amplifier dry quicker than a student downing free tequila shots ... Just don’t be tempted to cheapskate on the driving amps, or you’ll live to regret it. Tube amps at least have an output transformer to hide behind, but when the Blades suck out a solid-state design, they celebrate by spotlighting their tweeter something chronic. To give you some idea of the lengths required, the otherwise excellent Rowland 625 [550 watts into 4 Ohms] wasn’t up to the job, it taking a pair of the 725 monoblocs [650 watts into 4 Ohms] to restore order. "

Are the Blade 2s just as demanding as the original Blades in terms of amplification? I would guess not due to the smaller 6.5 inch woofers, but this is just an uneducated guess. I own a pair of Benchmark AHB2 amps, which according to the manufacturer produce “a little over 500 watts into 4 Ohms”. Will this be enough?
e91811

I heard the T+A top of the line stuff with close to $100K Wilson speakers (and other top end accessories). It sounded great but I think you are paying a premium for T+A that I feel you can get from similar gear (see end of post). The gear sounds a bit on the warm side and is very attractive physically.

I have been researching Blades and amps for a while now. I was seriously considering T+A (especially the integrated amp for simplicity) but decided not too because I like the KRELL XD amp sound more. I have the brand new KRELL KSA i400 amp as my top contender. I think the following 3 are similar sonically and also on my list for warm but not too warm gear, T+A, Luxman, and KRELL XD.

The Hegel and T+A are not similar sounding to my ears. I really enjoyed the Hegel top end mono blocks with the Blades. It was not the cleanest nor smoothest sounding, but it was a super fun listen. I think it was the massive power of the Hegel that made the old Blade 1 sing. The demo was over an hour in a big room (mostly just me) at a Los Angeles audio show. I still remember that sound, so engaging.

Another amp that I think could be fun with the Blade is the Rotel Mitchi monos. It is very similar to the Hegel monos I heard with the Blade 1. I heard the highest powered Mitchi integrated amp with B&W and it seemed like it was a good sound. The demo room was too bright with a lot of glass. Though it did not sound as good as the KRELL K-300i integrated amp (an XD version) that I owned.

The other sound I like is the Benchmark AHB2 (maybe my fav). I have AHB2 monos with KEF LS50 Meta and the recent Stereophile Blade 2 Meta review used the AHB2 monos. Even though the reviewer loved it and bought the speakers, I do not think it would be a good match power wise. A shame because I love the sound of the amp. The CODA #16 sounds somewhat like the AHB2 and is my second choice (and maybe more practical choice, $$ and size).

I heard the top end Chord monoblocks with the old Blade 1 about a decade ago and that was what made me want the Blades. However, it was the speaker that blew me away. The amps were OK, they did not sound as good as the KRELL XD stuff.

I think I can easily beat an integrated amps sound with a top end amp (maybe from the same brand) using a very clean preamp and good DAC. So, my future Livingroom system will be the following:

- KEF Blade 2 Meta (color TBD)

- Musetec 005 DAC ($3200) (have this already in storage in my garage)

- Benchmark LA4 preamp ($2500) (already have this in my office 2-channel system)

- KRELL KSA i400 ($35K) or CODA #16 ($15K no meters)

I have owned gear from KEF, KRELL XD, CODA, Musetec, and Benchmark. I have mixed and matched all of this gear. I am certain my choices will be perfect for my ears. The only thing I am getting dealer advice on is the speaker cables from the KRELL XD to the Blades. I think it was this one that I am getting if I buy the KRELL.

Solo Crystal Oval 8 Speaker Cable - Analysis Plus

BTW - most people would not use such a low-priced DAC and preamp, but I know what sounds right to me. Spending more on more MUSICAL gear has left me disappointed with the sound. Saying all of that my fav system right now is my tube RAAL VM-1a headphone amp + Benchmark DAC3B + RAAL SR1a/CA-1a. I think it will take the Blade system I am building to beat the RAAL office headphone system.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to answer. The T&A HV amp is within reach and looks good, but the HV pre is tough to justify at +$30k for a blue collar guy like me.

My only Krell was the kav 300il and while it's not the same level as the xd stuff it was the only piece that could tame my old kef R105\3's so I'm not surprised you like them. My problem with krell was the 575 monoblocks I heard in a fellow audiophile's home driving the salon 2's and the pairing was rough. The H590 is close but i'm starting to notice some midrange congestion I hadn't previously on some recordings, I also recently joined qubuz so it's possible the difference is im the recordings, that I can work out myself. Hegel finally updated the H30 with the H30I if I can find 1, that still leaves me shopping a dac preamp. 

Thank you for your patient reply, I'm leaning towards the T&A if I can get a decent price.

There is a Hegel H30 on USAM for $6K. I was under the impression that the upgrade to the H30I was due to part not being available to make more H30's.

I just found out that the KRELL KSA i400 was shipped out today, $36.5K

Looks like someone demoed Kef Blade 2's with the new Hegel A30 in Munich. I was not there but read the the H30A is really good, better than the H590 and should be able to drive anything. The cost of course doubles if you're gonna use it in a mono configuration. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/hegel-reference-h30a-reference-power-amplifier-p30a-preamplifier-kef-reference-5-meta

Since the blades tend towards a lifeless sound I think an amp with some life, like maybe a tube amp would do them some justice.  I had the blade 2s with the Theta Prometheus for a few years and I'm sure this contributes to my opinion of the speakers being lifeless.  I don't think the Prometheus is a lifeless sounding amp, especially for class D but with a speaker like Kef that leans towards a lifeless and dull sound you get a bad combo.  I bet a Pass amp might sounds good.  Personally I would just avoid the blade altogether, I think personally there are much better speakers for way less money and the Blade is a cheaply made speaker too, mine developed a rattle inside and just touching the cheap plastic base makes you wonder how they justify the price.  Very very cheap and light when you consider the price.