Types of Audiophiles

The Purist

A good stereo should be a transparent window into the recording session with no opinion or distortion of it’s own

The Dynamics Fanatics

A good stereo is like a thrill ride at a carnival. If I’m not jumping it isn’t worth listening to.

Live and Let Live

It’s all good man, put your money where your heart lies.

The Bean Counter

Buys gear like he’s stocking a used stereo store. Purchase price and retail value determine what comes and goes out.

The Canners

I bought my balanced headphones specifically so you wouldn’t ask me questions while I’m listening to dub step.

The Scientist

You can’t prove you have a soul so all your opinions are meaningless.

The Blind Follower

Can’t hear a difference between amp A and B so he wants to know if he should spend 5x more on B and will wait to be told which to get.

The Brand Loyalist

Falls in love with the idea of a brand or designer and changes his job to accommodate the demands of his audio jewelry

erik_squires

@gregchick0 Yes Jewelry!!!  I was definitely one of those rotating the volume and source selector knobs in audio stores back then!  There was one store in particular in the Philadelphia area, Stereo Trading Outlet, that was like a museum of high end used gear, a lot of it obscure used pieces.  

How about the tinkerer? Can never leave well enough alone and cannot enjoy what they have.

The Decision Relapser- loses track of the times he has said "This is it! I'm done/ I can live with this forever/ My long search is over, this is perfection for me/ Not paying this kind of money", etc., then reads an audio forum or some audio pubs and you guessed it. Back in the game.

The Jelousifier. Wants a system that will impress under any circumstances. It must be cheap, powerful, sound great, be beautiful, and innovative (now or for its time), all at once.

I want state-of-the-art from 20 30 40 years ago and I want it for $20 at the neighborhood good will, in perfect condition (or lovingly restored - without mention - to perfect condition.)

I want the system that other people wish they had when they visit my house. I want something that surprises people! It might look vintage but it won’t SOUND vintage it will sound simply fantastic! If I can assemble it cheaply then the listener will be twice as jealous, as they will have no chance of equaling the performance let alone the price/performance !! To throw money at a problem - where’s the sport in that?