Types of Audiophiles

The Purist

A good stereo should be a transparent window into the recording session with no opinion or distortion of it’s own

The Dynamics Fanatics

A good stereo is like a thrill ride at a carnival. If I’m not jumping it isn’t worth listening to.

Live and Let Live

It’s all good man, put your money where your heart lies.

The Bean Counter

Buys gear like he’s stocking a used stereo store. Purchase price and retail value determine what comes and goes out.

The Canners

I bought my balanced headphones specifically so you wouldn’t ask me questions while I’m listening to dub step.

The Scientist

You can’t prove you have a soul so all your opinions are meaningless.

The Blind Follower

Can’t hear a difference between amp A and B so he wants to know if he should spend 5x more on B and will wait to be told which to get.

The Brand Loyalist

Falls in love with the idea of a brand or designer and changes his job to accommodate the demands of his audio jewelry

erik_squires

@erik_squires wrote:

My point in highlighting this listener was that while there are systems that can produce great dynamics, there are also those who exaggerate everything. Imagine a HT system where the subwoofer is so high that a human footstep sounds like a T-Rex. Music in real life never makes me jump. If a system is making me jump on every track it’s probably not realistic.

For some reason it’s also frequently assumed that with large subs it has to mean they’re dialed very "hot" (just like high SPL-capable speakers are often assumed to just play LOUD), and while bass craving cinephiles may be inclined to do so, for my own part that’s not the case. It’s about balance of presentation where large size (and efficiency) of speakers is about scale, ease, bandwidth and a sense of physicality/power of music, and movies. I don’t look for "jump factor" as an effect, but rather what’s relatively unrestricted to and dictated by the source, and for that proper dynamics are vital to my mind.

Of course some of this is a matter of perspective, literally. As a listener at a jazz club I will probably never hear the sound of the reeds vibrating the same way as a player on stage will. Same for drums and cymbals. If you are used to being on the stage your view of normal is going to be different than a listener.

Sure. I usually fuss about finding the proper placement at a concert. Again, it’s about balance; too close and there’s a lack of cohesion, and too far away a shortage of immersion - of course all the while trying to sit as centered as possible. Perhaps I’m a bit of a pedantic in that regard..

There are also systems which always make their presence known. Others that vanish and get out of the way.

Here size is a factor as well. The popular notion is that smaller 2-way "monitors" can be made to make for an effective disappearing act, and they can. Except size and overall fullness and height of presentation, or lack thereof, is a giveaway whether to what degree what’s heard is actually perceived as a reproduction or not. Which is to say: smaller speakers may be able to get out of the way in regards to their own presence as speakers, but the illusion of it being less of a reproduction is still left wanting, at least compared to much bigger (and taller) speakers - to my mind. It would seem there are different ways of "getting out of the way" here.

Personally I am not a musician, my perspective and system choices are for the back of the hall, closer to the bar. 😁

Maybe the fact that I don’t drink alcohol myself, and never really have, has been a deciding factor with regard to my sonic preferences as well 😉

@erik_squires ..re 11/26 @ 9:10...

Down with your last sentence...👍  Save me a seat nearby... ;)

Samantha Fish is in AVL 1/29, venue entry tix $ is rational for a change.

I'll be the guy with spouse, wearing an obvious 'audio-comment' shirt.

Not branded....just 'typical' of my mind-set. *G*

I'll buy 1st round.

Such a deal....*L*

@gregchick0 Yes Jewelry!!!  I was definitely one of those rotating the volume and source selector knobs in audio stores back then!  There was one store in particular in the Philadelphia area, Stereo Trading Outlet, that was like a museum of high end used gear, a lot of it obscure used pieces.  

How about the tinkerer? Can never leave well enough alone and cannot enjoy what they have.