Amp pairing with Tannoy Turnberry?

Hi all!

Going to be picking up a pair of Tannoy Turnberry speakers in the near future, and was looking at some various options for integrated amplifiers. There are a couple on my radar and was wondering if anyone who owns the speakers has any insight. 

1. Primaluna EVO 300 or 400 - torn on whether the extra $ warrants going for the 400 over the 300. I had a Primaluna + Tannoy pairing some years ago and loved it, so immediately thought of this one.

2. NAT audio single HPS v2 - this is at the very top end of what I could consider budget wise. I have heard this amp, but not with the tannoys. It sounds incredible to me, but I'm not sure if it would play nice with the Turnberry speakers and don't have the ability to test one at home. 

From what I've hard of the NAT, I'm thinking it may be the better option, but maybe there is a better solid state in the price range I'm looking at. Ideally, I'd like to stay in the 5-6k range, but willing to stretch a little bit more for something I will be happy with for the forseeable future. 

Thanks for any insight.

128x128mmcgill829

@mmcgill829

NAT audio single HPS v2 - this is at the very top end of what I could consider budget wise. I have heard this amp, but not with the tannoys. It sounds incredible to me

It is good that you’ve actually heard this amplifier. I do not doubt that it sounds “incredible “ based upon its design and execution. NAT Audio tends to fly under the radar but their products consistently receive very positive feedback and praise.

It appears to me that it’d be a terrific match for your Tannoy speakers. This amplifier offers a switch for either 50 watts or 30 watts pure class A power. I’m gung ho and say go for it. You might very well enjoy a solid-state amplifier. I doubt if you will find one that sounds like this GM 70 SET. It all depends on what sonic characteristics you are seeking.

Charles

NAT HPS is every bit interesting and I echo what @charles1dad said. It’s probably hard to find another amp with two of my all time favorite tubes. I once heard Shindo Labs GM70 - 20W monos and instantly fell in love with their seductive sound design. The possible pairing of HPS with Turnberry’s intrigues me but their power rating gives a slight pause. It appears HPS’s comfort zone would be around 30W and that may not be an ideal match for a 93db efficient speakers. Having said that, looks like audio gods are smiling upon you. Once you get your Tannoy’s, reach out to Mike Powell (NAT distributor) for in-home audition of HPS, he lives in ATL :-)

As an alternative to tubes, consider Accuphase Integrated, something like E-480 or E-650, both can be had for a good price on used market. I’m driving my Canterbury’s with E-650, a match made in heaven! In direct comparison with Luxman L-505, T+A PA3100 and darTZeel CTH-8550; I end up preferring the Accuphase gorgeous sound and synergy with Tannoy’s by a mile.

Good luck and keep us posted!

@lalitk

What I find very interesting about Tannoy speakers are the wide range of amplifiers used by their owners. From 300b SET to 300 watt solid state or class D. They all seem quite satisfied with their respective choices. Of course numerous variables will influence one’s preference.

That is why I said with regard to the OP, what type of sound is he seeking? I also know that even with the same speaker sensitivity, they all aren’t equally driven due to other factors. My speakers are 94db and just sing with 8 watt SET (Preferred over my 100watt PP tube amplifier). However, circumstances do vary among listeners.

The NAT Audio amplifiers have a reputation for exceptionally good power supply design and their own hand wired transformers. For my taste it’d be the NAT Single HPS. No doubt others would make different choices. Which is attested to by the diversity of amplifiers used among Tannoy owners. Many good options.

Charles