Powered speakers show audiophiles are confused

17 of 23 speakers in my studio and home theater systems are internally powered. My studio system is all Genelec and sounds very accurate. I know the best new concert and studio speakers are internally powered there are great technical reasons to design a speaker and an amp synergistically, this concept is much more important to sound quality than the vibration systems we often buy. How can an audiophile justify a vibration system of any sort with this in mind.

128x128donavabdear

@brianlucey thank you for sharing your link and paper on your studio. Big Black Keys fan (Ohio Boys too). Clearly you are a subject matter expert in this field.

Go Blue!

@kota1 

I have a pair of Focus XD (living room) and a pair of Xeo (bedroom)  both home audio vs studio.

I stream to both pair through a central box, Dynaudio Connect, and control them through each pair’s remote, or my phone. 

moonwatcher

Well, I guess a good engineer could put drivers and an amp inside a concrete block that weighs about 300 pounds. Doubt it would sell very well. And Vibration dampening systems ARE important under turntables at the very least, regardless of what you are playing said turntable through.

If and audiophile spends 50k on his turntable that weighs 300lb we could probably guess that this same audiophile will have some massive subs that would be equally impressive in putting out bass, why doesn’t all that bass energy affect the fidelity of the needle in the record groves? Sorry if this is a dumb question I don’t have much experience with turntables.

@lonemountain happy to participate today, glad you're enjoying.   @kota1 This thread is a relative newbies insult at the whole forum, so I have no problem with responding in kind. All of his equipment is (to me obviously) mid fi. There is nothing more to say. You love Genelecs? Great ! That is the whole point.   To me?  The whole line has always been mostly hype with a sound that lacks natural tonality, very processed. 1031's to present, same family sound. And yet if you love them that is all that matters. Speakers are like a romantic partner: if you’re happy, that’s all that matters and the rest of us should not critique another person’s place in the journey.  I am not critiquing anyone personally when I say "mid fi" as my journey is way down the rabbit hole. Speakers are a tool, for listening or for working, they are not an objective fact.  Arguing quality from specs or awards is very naive.