Powered speakers show audiophiles are confused

17 of 23 speakers in my studio and home theater systems are internally powered. My studio system is all Genelec and sounds very accurate. I know the best new concert and studio speakers are internally powered there are great technical reasons to design a speaker and an amp synergistically, this concept is much more important to sound quality than the vibration systems we often buy. How can an audiophile justify a vibration system of any sort with this in mind.

128x128donavabdear
brianlucey Thanks for the article I really enjoyed it. As I was reading your equipment list I thought wow how can you time align all those eclectic parts then you mentioned the Trinnov, very good choice. Interesting to hear you are combining tube amps in your system. My question is are you making your system sound flat or sound good?

I would like to hear your thoughts this question, my system is as simple as possible Protools, S4, HDX, MTRX Studio and the powered Genelecs I did this because anyone even me can mix on it and there are no surprises everything is industry standard, I understand your clients can take in the cool equipment and speakers but are you adding extra flavor to your system that is dangerous in a mastering studio. Real question I really don't want to sound mean or put anyone down that is the last thing I want to do, honest question. Also in my time in the movie industry I did have some very special equipment that was eye and ear candy and made producers appreciate my rig it definitely helped my career, do you feel the same way?

@brianlucey , if you go back and look at your first post in this thread I think my reply was in a similar spirit. You have the OP who posted not one, but two systems. His work rig and his home rig. I look at your profile before I posted anything and I see nada. In this context your post seemed like a rant about the OP. Calling his gear midfi??? IDK what your definition of hifi is but those Paradigms are their flagship speaker and his electronics are PS Audio and I have never seen anyone call their signature BHK line midfi. Those comments came with nothing to back up your opinion.

Now, if you say you need 3 pairs of speakers fine. YOU need 3 pairs, don’t make it like everyone can do what you do with the same 3 pairs. You also never provided any kind of substance for your claim in your post so in my view it was misinformation. As for posting pics of studios it was meant to support my claim that many recognized professionals use about the same number of speakers as the OP (including myself),

Now that you have established some creds fine. In the future maybe lead with that before you start insulting someones gear (crappy amps, midfi, etc). You did NOT need to go there, especially with a new member coming out swinging in his first thread for this community. I like the topic of the thread, there was good back and forth, and then you come in like throwing mud at the OP? No, you didn’t need to do that and I simply responded.

I started two thread here on atmos, one on atmos music and one on how to setup your room in atmos. It would be nice to continue a discussion re: atmos in either thread but let’s focus here on the topic at hand, powered/active speakers.

So, do you prefer active or passive speakers? Why?

I own two pairs of Dynaudio powered speakers. The warranty period after registering on the website satisfied my concerns regarding longevity.  

They sound great (to me) and the simplicity is good for my OCD. These actives are as good or better than conventional systems I’ve assembled for near the same money, but I don’t fancy myself a wizard, haha.

I’d like to hear Kef’s new wireless tower.. 

@brianlucey thank you for sharing your link and paper on your studio. Big Black Keys fan (Ohio Boys too). Clearly you are a subject matter expert in this field.

Go Blue!