Neutral Dac?

I’m curious to see people’s opinions on what they believe is the most uncolored dac? Every dac I’ve tried seems to be a flavor that deviates from neutrality in some way (smooths things over, too bright, too soft on transients, lacks bass etc...). Is there a dac that people believe gets all the fundamentals correct with leaving very little sonic footprint? What is the cost threshold needed to achieve it? I’m surprised at my own findings recently but really curious if anyone else has been searching for a fundamentally uncolored dac and what they’ve found.

I realize the most obvious answer is "the dac with impeccable measurements" but I have also found some of them to sound unnatural (dry/bright).

schw06

@jerryg123 please understand I have not heard or personally experienced the Topping or Gustard DAC's mentioned earlier, just relaying what so many other reviewers have stated about those products being very neutral which is what the OP ask for. Not sure its a digital desert, but true I have owned many many digital components through the years and some from the most venerable companies in HiFi. 

Its also worth noting a great many of these once highly revered digital audio companies promising the holy grail no longer exist. Lot of road kill through the years with many esoteric and boutique companies. The days for me spending dozens of thousands of dollars to experiment are long over as well. The ad quote above is all too familiar. Regardless enjoy.

Time to get back to the OP's opening question, neutral DAC's. 

Whatever why I do not buy cheap stuff and I audition in my system I do not buy based on reviews or opinions expressed here.

LessLoss again.

Time to get back to the OP's opening question, neutral DAC's. 

Report this

128x128

Source

Crane Song Solaris Quantum for $2K from Sweetwater. It is the sound of analog which is diff from neutrality which you asked about but you will be totally pulled into the sound.

The Nagra HD DAC is neutral based on comparing with master tape but at a quantum leap in price compared to the Crane Song. Your likely reaction is that the Nagra is more laid back than the Crane Song. To make an analogy to which prolly one 0.001 % of readers can relate it's like the diff between 468 and 456 tape. 468 is neutral to the point where upon first comparison you find it dull compared to 456. But upon long term listening you find it is more relaxed which is why a lot of pros go for 468. Especially for recording classical.

* difficult to get Crane Song. I guess it's three guys working out of a garage. Sweetwater is yr best bet for getting yr hands on some actual bird.

The most neutral DAC I have heard is the Rockna Wavedream.  The edition and signature tonally are the same.  You get more detail and an even bigger soundstage with the signature vs the edition.  

the thing about the Wavedream is the sound profile doesn’t really stand out in any way.  It is not bright nor is it warm.  The sound isn’t full but it also isn’t thin.  It isn’t forward but it isn’t laid back.  Etc….  It is hard to describe the sound because of this and in fairness, some folks find this a bit boring as the DAC is so exceedingly uncolored.  

I would say this is true across the dozens of DACs I have listened too ranging from the Khadas Tone 2 up to the MSB Reference.  

I am not sure what neutral sounding is because that is subjective. I personally like my Shiit audio Byfrost DAC, which is very outclassed in this forum.