Yamaha CDS-1000 or Denon DCD-1600ne

These are my choices for sacd players which would be a good fit for me system. I have a musical fidelity m6si and my speakers are Sonus faber sonetto iii and run a rel subwoofer.

bigmac1963

"Both the Denon and Yamaha have very low jitter and harmonic distortion/noise floor. So why would they be expected to sound different? "

Because they use different DACs? Because they use different power supplies? Because they're designed differently and use different parts?

You can't base how a component sounds off of a piece of paper that states how a component measures. It doesn't work that way.

I've used both of these CD players and prefer the Yamaha in my particular system. (I upgraded to a CDS-2100 from the CDS-1000, though the sound and presentation is similar between the two). YMMV. If you go through a dealer that carries both, you can always exchange the unit if you're unhappy.

I will say this, Yamahas in general take forever to break in and settle down.

The Denon didn't take nearly as long to acclimate.

The Denon's controls, response and load time is superior to the Yamaha (which can be rather clunky to load and use).

Again, both are fine players, so it's up to you to decide which route to go.

+1

@coralkong ​​​​@pmm .

I will always give considerably more merit and appreciation to those offering opinions who’ve actually heard and interacted directly with an audio product. There’s simply no substitute to the act of listening to a component reproducing music and judging what you hear.

This is far more worthwhile than someone offering flippant comments about something that they lack any direct experience with. Preconceived and uninformed opinion has little or no value.

Charles 

I have the opportunity to listen to the yamaha at a local dealer. I noticed on Denon USA website that they will have it on Black Friday sale for $899.

+2 @coralkong 

DAC and power supply much more important determinants of sound than anything @jasonbourne52 cites.

I’ve heard both SACD players, and I’ve heard the OP speakers.  However, I haven’t heard them all together, nor have I been in the OP listening room.  Although I disagree with everything else in @jasonbourne52 post, he is ultimately correct in that both SACD players will sound good.  I agree with poster who said the Denon will sound a bit darker than the brighter Yamaha will sound.  Personally I would prefer that, but ymmv.  The speakers aren’t particularly treble happy, so even the brighter Yamaha won’t lacerate your ears.

@mahler123

Although I disagree with everything else in @jasonbourne52 post, he is ultimately correct in that both SACD players will sound good

Ultimately he isn’t correct. He said both will sound “identical” (Not that both sound good). According to those here providing listening impressions, they clearly are not identical sounding. Distinct sonic differences are noted.

Charles