SUT - electrical theory and practical experience

Some vinyl users use a SUT to enhance the signal of the MC cartridge so that it can be used in the MM input of a phono stage.  Although I don't understand the theory behind it, I realize that a SUT should be matched individually to a particular cartridge, depending on the internal impedance of the MC, among other things.  

Assuming an appropriately / ideally matched SUT and MC, What are the inherent advantages or disadvantages of inserting a SUT after the MC in the audio chain?  Does the SUT theoretically enhance or degrade the sound quality?  What does the SUT actually do to the sound quality? 

Thanks. 

drbond

Now discussion of how signal is actually transmitted through a SUT would be quite interesting: does the signal actually move through the wound wire? As we know, the electrons in a wire don’t travel. . . do you think that the signal is rather transmitted via the core, and not the wires? What really happens to the signal? I don’t know if anyone really knows (but I’m not an electrical engineer), but I do know the limitations of human knowledge. Now, how much of the signal is purely electrical, and how much is magnetic, and can they even be separated? I suppose now it gets into a "religious" argument, where our minds may not be able to comprehend the exact way that everything works.

The coil(s) in the cartridge outputs a current based upon maxwells equation description of a magnetic field moving across a coil.
So it is an electric field that is pushing the electrons along in a back-n-forth AC fashion.

In the SUT, the current creates a magnetic field from the input winding of the coil, and the output winding creates a voltage and current to fight (or in response to) the magnetic field.

And yes… the electric field pushes those electrons along, which in an AC field result in no net significant movement on the average over time.

Now, how much of the signal is purely electrical, and how much is magnetic, and can they even be separated?

A cartridge, SUT and speaker driver, all have a significant magnetic field component to their design.

I suppose now it gets into a "religious" argument, where our minds may not be able to comprehend the exact way that everything works.

Maxwell’s equations are at the core of “the religion” of what is happening. EEs are generally the ones that comprehend this to provide the designs to manifest “the religion” into reality.

Drbond, transformer theory is a deep subject. The only person with deep knowledge who ever posts on Audiogon is Dave Slagle (Intact Audio). Otherwise you are not going to find enlightened discussion here. I suggest you do an internet search. The subject interests me as well. For example, some who dislike SUTs like to lament the concept that the signal is actually traveling along the many yards of fine wire that make up the primary winding thereby suffering degradation even befor being transformed. But I think there is some basis for treating the primary winding as a singular entity. Dave could speak more eloquently on this but also you might find such a discussion on line.

I have an experience of listening to a minimum of approx' 10 SUT's in my own system and have been demonstrated somewhere near this quantity again in other systems.

Along with the above, I have listened to, in my own system, a Head Amp, Amps with a built in MC Stage, as both Valve Hybrid and SS.

It is the extended usage in the home system of configurations for devices, that really helps with understanding the impact of a device and enable a reasonable evaluation on the influence during comparisons. 

My most recent experiences of encountering New Devices that have left a very good impression are only a few months past.

Outside of my system, I have listened to too many to count Phonostage configurations, using Phono Pre- Amp > SUT or Head Amp, Valve Hybrid MC and SS with the most expensive dedicated design having a £10K price.   

I have spent numerous years learning about how the designs and configurations for a Dedicated Phono Amplification can impact on the presentation on offer from a Vinyl LP Source.  

I am not prejudiced; I have heard very good performances from a SUT in use, or a Head Amp in use. A SUT does inject a Colour to the presentation, but there are SUT's that in comparison to another could be described as having a Transparency.

Put a perceived as Transparent SUT in use alongside a Head Amp as a comparison demonstration and the SUT will quite quickly have a detectable colour in the presentation.

I see the SUT > Head Amp in use, as real bonus to the user who does not prejudice against the devices, as there is a huge scope to fine tune a system to one's unique preference, the cut off point for detectable colouration is the end users choice. This is achievable, in all Phono Amp Designs, Valve Input/Output, Valve Hybrid and Solid State.

I have pursued the perception of Transparency for a long time, and as a result, have found it difficult to accept an undeniably transparent presentation as attractive. With this in mind, my investigations have shown it is hard to discover SS designs that really appeal, (there are a few that I have appraised with a positive evaluation, as a Brand Soulution is presenting in a way that is very agreeable.)

As a means to achieve the perception that a presentation is attractive, for my own preference, a little detectable colouration is welcome, even though easily able to be overlooked, is the presentation that is very attractive for me. As always each to their own, based on the influences made as a result of their own experiences.

Most recently I was demonstrated SUT's with a design that uses a material referred to as a Nano Crystaline Core. Two different ratios were in use and a Copper and Silver Wire was in use as well. I was shocked (definitely not expecting ) how the devices were able to impress, these are top of the list for a home demonstration, alongside a Solid-State Phon' I have been impressed with, when my system is once more assembled. 

At the same demonstration one of the SUT's with a Ratio to perfectly match the Cart' in use was to be used in conjunction with a Brand-New SS Phonostage with a value of £4000, that was a loaned device being demonstrated. The SS Phon's MC Stage was attractive for a New Device, with an allowance being given for further settlement through usage, there was without doubt, potential projected for the device. 

With the SUT being used in place of the SS Phon's MC Stage, the impression made was notable, it was a much improved presentation, and all attendees listening were in agreement, even the SS Phon's owner. 

The most difficult Phon' design, I have struggled to reconcile with is a common design, from an affordable range, from both Brands and a DIY approach, where using a circuit that is Valve Hybrid with a JFET for the MC Stage, usually if bought through a Brand comes with a pricing from £1500 - £3000. There seems through the consistency of the Sonic I am able to detect, to be an indicator typical parts are used for the circuit. In my evaluation there has been seemingly identical presentations, and not the most attractive of ones heard, that appeal to my preferences.

My experiences pretty much break down into the evaluation, that there are options on the configurations to produce a Phonostage.  A Phonostage does not necessarily need to be a one box affair only, using off board ancillaries are totally worthwhile trying out.

An end user can be quite creative in how they are able to produce a presentation that has a very positive impression on them. 

Add to the permutations, the trying out of different umbilical's and with Valve Designs the option to try out alternative Valves and the opportunities for creativity really 'gets it freak on'.

Why limit oneself, when numerous options are available without the need to be adorned with any great skills to put them in place.

I had a chance to listen to EM/IA SUT in my stereo yesterday.  It was a 1:10 Cu version made for my friends combination of a Lyra Atlas and Marantz 7C preamp. Cable was a .6 meter Nordost Quatrofil. On my turntable yesterday was a SoundSmith Hyperion MKII/Kuzma4p9 going into my Pass Labs XP-27 phono pre. I usually have the pre set on high gain and 500Ohm resistance. So for the SUT, I switched to low gain and 47k resistance. 

This experience supports a lot of what has been discussed on this thread.  The addition of the SUT made things sound a touch more crystalline and at the same time a touch more dynamic. Bass definition and soundstage depth suffered just a little as did overall transparency. Clearly this SUT works better for the tube MM stage that my friend uses.  Not that it sounded bad in my setup.  Just different and a little farther away from my preferences. I didn’t have time to swap in a Lyra Etna SL or my Koetsu RSP.  I bet that may have identified a better match with the SUT.

One of the things I love about the Pass is that I can use a wide variety of cartridges and find the optimal setting with the front panel switches.