SUT - electrical theory and practical experience

Some vinyl users use a SUT to enhance the signal of the MC cartridge so that it can be used in the MM input of a phono stage.  Although I don't understand the theory behind it, I realize that a SUT should be matched individually to a particular cartridge, depending on the internal impedance of the MC, among other things.  

Assuming an appropriately / ideally matched SUT and MC, What are the inherent advantages or disadvantages of inserting a SUT after the MC in the audio chain?  Does the SUT theoretically enhance or degrade the sound quality?  What does the SUT actually do to the sound quality? 

Thanks. 

drbond

Dear @mulveling : " I’ve found a good SUT will be quieter than a good JFET stage "

Only true reason for that is that your JFET unit is a mediocre overall design.

Btw, "" rich, meaty, weighty. ""

typical " audiophile/tube " adjectives that means nothing about MUSIC, specially live MUSIC seated at near field position that’s where the recording microphones are positioned. Your statement means that you like sound full of developed COLORATIONS/DISTORTIONS.

R.

R.

"One practical consideration is you really need a very short, low capacitance run of cable from SUT to phono stage." Which is a good reason for having a high quality SUT built in to the phono circuit, on board.

@lewm - That’s somewhat true. It’s an advantage to be onboard in the phono stage box. However, I have LL1931 built into my VAC Renaissance SE (another phono stage I own) and my preference for different SUTs greatly overrides the advantages of being onboard. I also have an outboard K&K SUT box with LL1931Ag (i.e. I’ve tried LL1931 both onboard and outboard), so I know it’s really the LL1931 sound that I don’t like.

Being onboard reduces the chances you’ll have a grounding hum issue. And of course it eliminates the chore of picking a transparent IC. But once you know you need a low capacitance short run IC, it’s pretty easy to find a "transparent enough" cable.

For me, the ability to choose a SUT to my preference is by far the dominant factor over issues with IC’s or grounding. I’ve yet to be super-impressed with an onboard SUT.

Your statement means that you like sound full of developed COLORATIONS/DISTORTIONS.

@rauliruegas  - and I'm OK with that 😁
I'm definitely not trying to pose as someone in pursuit of the "ultimate truth" in sound. I go for what pleases me the most. 

An interesting discussion for sure.  I have to laugh concerning the argument that transformers insert distortions, whereas active circuits using transitors somehow do not.  We are talking about playing vinyl records people.  Everything has distortion.  If we really want to reduce "colorations/distortionns" to the maximum extent possible, we should all pull up stakes and move over to the digital realm completely.  I must reinforce the points made by mulveling as my experiences are very similar.  I have a Conrad-Johnson TEA1-series 3 with built in SUT and although it is very good, it is not as good as any of several external SUTs that I own.  I have a couple of different active phono stages that probably have lower distortion than even my best SUTs, but they don't satisfy my ear as well as the best of the transformers, which is a hideously expensive one made in Germany wound with silver wire.   I have a Bob's Devices one that sounds lush and warm, overly so for me.

My advice to anyone starting out?  Try them out, find what you like.  Satisfy your own self.  In spite of the admonitions to the contrary, the only truth in analog is your own taste.