Mesh network versus a simple Wi-Fi extender

In anyone’s experience, does implementing a pricier Mesh network yield any sonic advantages to just using a good Wi-Fi extender and running a good Ethernet cable from that?  From people who have very good streamer setups it seems like using a simple but good Wi-Fi extender from TP-Link etc. is more than fine.  Thoughts?

soix

My NETGEAR RBR50 plus satellites (WiFi 5) was released 6 years ago, which seems like an eternity for this stuff. Firmware is conveniently updated automatically.  I have been and continue to be extremely satisfied with the performance and longevity of the system, which continues to provide very fast and reliable internet throughout the house and outside, for multiple audio/music system, television, and computer streaming/video conferencing. I would not hesitate to upgrade within their line when it comes time.

Anyone, I hear, no pun intended, that 2.4 GHz is preferable to 5.0 or the newer 6? 
Comments please

I tried powerline extenders which worked but were noisy, and then wireless extenders which were unreliable. I installed Google mesh a couple years ago and it fixed my connectivity issues. Not sure of other mesh solutions but Google mesh comes with a simple app that allows you to test, control and also prioritize devices so if you are competing for bandwidth with other devices on your network, you can remove any contention by prioritizing your streamer.

+1 @audphile1 

My son uses the same EERO for his mesh network.  He is not an audiophile...but is a videophile/gamer.  Gaming is severely more intense use of resources and on his 85" Sony top-of-the-line monitor there is never a glitch/dropout nothing and the speed is amazingly fast (as it needs to be for gaming). Kudos to you.

Regards,

barts

Thanks for posting this question, and thanks for all the answers. I've got to decide on an extender or a mesh for my new house. The answers here are making me lean toward mesh.