Mesh network versus a simple Wi-Fi extender

In anyone’s experience, does implementing a pricier Mesh network yield any sonic advantages to just using a good Wi-Fi extender and running a good Ethernet cable from that?  From people who have very good streamer setups it seems like using a simple but good Wi-Fi extender from TP-Link etc. is more than fine.  Thoughts?

soix

I will take mesh over extender every day 

especially NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 series wifi 6 over everything out there 

@jperry

Thanks for your reply. I guess the only way to find out is try one of these newer routers/extenders if they make any improvements over my long discontinued Apple Extreme router. I have narrowed down my choices to Netgear Orbi Pro AX6000, Amplifi Alien and eero 6+.

@lalitk 

The only thing I can say for sure is my Innuos doesn’t have can’t find server errors anymore. The fix was rebooting everything at least once, which was a real PITA.

The Eero system was very easy to set up for a non-technical person

My NETGEAR RBR50 plus satellites (WiFi 5) was released 6 years ago, which seems like an eternity for this stuff. Firmware is conveniently updated automatically.  I have been and continue to be extremely satisfied with the performance and longevity of the system, which continues to provide very fast and reliable internet throughout the house and outside, for multiple audio/music system, television, and computer streaming/video conferencing. I would not hesitate to upgrade within their line when it comes time.

Anyone, I hear, no pun intended, that 2.4 GHz is preferable to 5.0 or the newer 6? 
Comments please