What Gear Has Disappointed You?

While it's clearly not an absolute fact, we tend to have an expectation that a more expensive product should be better.  Within a given brand it really should be a fact, but because there's a wide range of factors in play when it comes to pricing it's not necessarily true when comparing different brands.  I think that it's fair to say that when we purchase a more expensive product we generally have an expectation that it'll perform better.  In the cases where our experience confirms this belief it can be the result of the product actually being better and/or some expectation bias. In a sense, it doesn't really matter which it is.

With this in mind, have you ever purchased a product expecting it to be superior only find that it was clearly inferior in your experience?

mceljo

Marantz CD63se player.  Unopened drawer (broken belt and laser head went bad.  Two of them ended up the same issues.

Let's see.....what gear has disappointed me....

Emotiva ERC-4 CD player. Just......no. Returned to sender.

Any of the Schitt DACs I have auditioned or tried. Just not a fan of the sound, feel or look of their products. 

Marantz CD/SACD players. They don't seem to have any kind of signature sound. Meaning, their different models all sound completely different from one another. I can listen to one of their higher end models and it sounds horrible. Then I listen to one that's a few steps below it, and it sounds wonderful. I never could figure how this could be, and in the end, pretty much gave up on trying/caring.

Metaxas Solitaire power Amplifiers

Drove my Infinity Kappa 9's to audio Nirvana -BUT were always breaking down and repaired by cowboys here in Perth .

Liquid Audio had a look at them and refused to work on them.

Mine was the Top of the Line Marantz AV unit a few years back one side stopped working I called the 800 number had it less than a year never received a callback.

A year later I gave a one-star review on Amazon and got a call from a Marantz VP could he help me I said no returned it to the store and purchased an Arcam

Regarding the guy who had the issue with PS Audio, I had heard about the issue with that CD Drive. I personally own a power plant 20 a BHK 250 amp a BHK preamp and DAC Additionally I own two Pass lab amps and have always every time had nothing but  OUTSTANDING Service from PS Audio. I love purchasing great equipment from a company that you can still communicate with the founder.

A friend of mind was calling Pass Labs and forgot about the time difference so it was very early in the morning in CA and Nelson answered the phone when he called. Compare this to my experience, with Marantz