Boutique caps in oil... reliable?

Hi Everyone,

Just kind of openly curious.  On occasion I will read a post here or there that a boutique film cap which uses oil as a dielectric has leaked (i.e. failed). 

Just wondering when it comes to these high end oil impregnated (or maybe even wax!) caps what your experience has been with long term reliability.

Thanks!

Erik

erik_squires

@erik_squires 

There was a thread that I contributed to just yesterday where I mentioned that I had an expensive Duelund capacitor that leaked, and I got no satisfaction from Duelund or Parts Connexion. I had discovered the leak when I opened the DAC to change a tube. I left it in after cleaning up the leaked oil, and a few years later when I sent the DAC in for an upgrade, there was no more leaked oil, and the technician tested the cap, and i was still up to spec, so no harm done, I guess.

Erik,

As you mentioned wax, no issues with Jupiter HT.

Running now for 9 years and are close to signal tubes.

No experience with oils.

Back when they were a couple hundred bucks each; I replaced the four coupling caps, in my tubed monoblocks, with Duelund's .22uF 630V, CAST PIO, pure Cu foil's.

Within six months I noticed a tiny puddle under one of the amps and called Parts Connexion, who instructed me to return all four.

Apparently: Duelund had a bad run and was replacing any parts from that batch gratis.

Returned the baddies and received the new caps within the same week.

I was absolutely happy with their caps and issue resolution.

It's hard to be perfect all the time! 

Some may remember the Black Gate caps from Rubycon.   MAN, how I miss those babies!

Anyway: here's a funny, cap-failure flashback, related to Rubycon (an EXCELLENT manufacturer), their non-solid, aluminum electrolytics and a major industrial espionage fail:

btw: It's been a few years (at least eight) since those Duelunds were replaced.

Still: wonderful reproduction/no need for Pampers.

@rodman99999 btw: It's been a few years (at least eight) since those Duelunds were replaced.

Still: wonderful reproduction/no need for Pampers

Understood. I’ve had the Duelund CAST PIO copper foil capacitors in my speakers and DAC for about 10 years and have experienced zero problems with them. They sound splendid!

@rodman99999 

What makes the Blackgate capacitors special ? I know that they are held in high esteem by many. I lack any experience with them.

Charles