System that sounds so real it is easy to mistaken it is not live

My current stereo system consists of Oracle turntable with SME IV tonearm, Dynavector XV cartridge feeding Manley Steelhead and two Snappers monoblocks  running 15" Tannoy Super Gold Monitors. Half of vinyl records are 45 RMP and were purchased new from Blue Note, AP, MoFI, IMPEX and some others. While some records play better than others none of them make my system sound as good as a live band I happened to see yesterday right on a street. The musicians played at the front of outdoor restaurant. There was a bass guitar, a drummer, a keyboard and a singer. The electric bass guitar was connected to some portable floor speaker and drums were not amplified. The sound of this live music, the sharpness and punch of it, the sound of real drums, the cymbals, the deepness, thunder-like sound of bass guitar coming from probably $500 dollars speaker was simply mind blowing. There is a lot of audiophile gear out there. Some sound better than others. Have you ever listened to a stereo system that produced a sound that would make you believe it was a real live music or live band performance at front of you?

esputnix

Recorded music is "processed" by the engineer and a BUNCH of equipment.  In the old days, it was mostly tube gear. If you are unfamiliar with that, visit an "old time" recording studio.  Digital music uses "chips" that process "bits" and drop many of them that it considers "extraneous" to the final product.

As for "realistic" reproduction, I have yet to hear anything better than the ARC/Magnepan combo set up correctly playing either master tapes or direct-to-disc recordings, both of which are "processed" as well.

As for our friend with the guitar and amps, standing on the side of the stage in 1972 and listening to Duane Allman and Dickey Betts play live is about as close to "real" as I have ever heard.

Cheers!

I know this is an esoteric group but my introduction to " not live but close enough"

was walking up the hill to the officer's club on Phan Rang AFB in '70 or '71 and from

a hundred or so feet away wondering how they got a rock & roll band in Vietnam.

Once inside, I discovered the magic of AR speakers with a large Macintosh amp 

cranked up to 11. Life hasn't been the same since.

Lots of opinions here in all directions.

Lets take an example. Two weeks ago I saw Smashing Pumpkins and Janes Addiction at the Boston Garden. We were dead center, 20 rows back. It was so loud I had to use my Etymotic ear plugs. The sound was in Mono and there is always an echo in that venue. The light show was fabulous. 

I have a Blu-Ray of the Smashing Pumpkins Oceana concert. I think it was in New York. The recording was probably taken off the sound board and was well mixed with the instruments and voices in their proper location with reasonable blackness between. Played back at 95 dB with the bass boosted just a little the dynamics are very pleasing and realistic. Given that my system is a line source top to bottom the soundstage is vary large and lifelike. The audio experience is far superior to the live concert but the light show is no where near as overwhelming. 

Next is Mike Stern at the Blue Note in NYC, again dead center and two tables back from the front of the stage. We were listening to the live instruments and not a PA. I would guess a little louder than 95 dB, but still quite comfortable. Mike also has a recent BluRay, The Paris Concert. Given there is no light show the experience is scarily similar. I can match the volume perfectly. The size and timbre of the instruments is close enough that you would need do do an A/B comparison to identify the differences. Perhaps there is not quiet as much snap to the snare. I wish all live recordings could be like this one. 

Creating life size images is the purview of line source systems. It is apparent that many people who have responded to this threat have not heard one, particularly one that maintains it's line source behavior down to 10 Hz. Assuming a quality recording, the sound is usually superior to what you hear at a live venue. The dynamic range may not be as great but if the volume is satisfactory you do not notice this.   

Since I play the guitar, no nothing can capture the live perfromance3 of my Les Paul into Marshall amplifiers.

@bigkidz The guitar player in my band plays a Les Paul hollow body into a Marshall Major(!) on a single Marshall stack (he used to use two but geez...).

If your speakers have sufficient efficiency (mine are 98dB so slightly more efficiency than the Marshall stack) you can reproduce such a thing very convincingly 😁 Best done with no-one home...