Pass labs upgrade path

Hi there. I’m Currently running a X350.5 and XP20 with a Bricasti M1SE and PBN KAS speakers. 

I have budget to upgrade amp or preamp and am considering either a X350.8 or XP22 or XP30 as my next logical upgrade. 

I’m more inclined for a XP22 than anything else as I heard a XP12 in my system and it did sound much more like a live show but without the advantages of separate power supply. 

I have not heard a XP30 or a .8 amplifier so I figured I’d ask around and see if anyone had been in a similar spot. 

Thanks y’all. 

128x128systembuilder

@jc4659

The gain of the Ayre is 16db balanced and 10 db unbalanced. The gain of the Pass is 9db balanced. Since you have too much gain the Pass would be a better fit. You can lower the gain  with the Ayre using unbalanced cables, but I guess you knew that!

@yogiboy Yes, switching to the single ended outputs of the ayre pre should help but those are currently being used to drive a subwoofer. The above pre suggestions have me intrigued!

Just to make certain that I was not out of my head prior to ditching the Pass preamp, I inserted a borrowed McIntosh C2300 into my system to see how it would behave. Even with the "homogenized" sound profile of the Mac Preamp, the Pass amps came to life.

Consider this...I(personally) have never heard(or read) of anyone using a Pass preamp with amps other than that of Pass. If they were truly any good, one would think that you would learn of more people using them in non Pass amp applications...