What is the forums opinion of SVS subs?

What is the forums opinion of SVS?

I have been thinking about adding a sub and started studying Rel. Then I saw an add for SVS and l gave them a look.

I have seen time and again this forums praise of Rel. So then when I was looking at Rel's specs compared to SVS, It APPEARS at on paper that SVS digs deeper at -3 db than Rel at -6 db, at a lower cost. But how do the two compare in their sound?

Thanks

marshinski15

I had one SVS SB-12NSD and was very happy with it. But I kept reading here about people using subwoofer swarms (4 subs) and raving about it. I stumbled across a guy selling two of that same model for $400 for the pair and jumped on it to see what all the fuss was about. While that doesn't give me a full swarm the difference in bass quality is remarkable, truly fantastic. In fact is has improved the entire sonic presentation. So the hunt is definitely on for a 4th.

A bit off topic, but I’ll add my vote for SVS’s isolation feet. I use them for my subs and they are exceptional at isolating the sub cabinets from my first floor listening room.  Very much worth the $50 for a set of 4 feet.

+1 for sure on the isolation feet and plus however many on the SVS. I use SVS SB4000,SB3000 and PC2000 ULTRA with fantastic results. After 40 years of trying this combo is unmatchable in my room.

I have an SVS and a B&W. Love the SVS much cleaner than the B&W, deeper bass and great value for the money. Overall great sub! Good luck with your pick.

@ratboysr, I may be wrong but I get the impression you think it necessary to have all subs in a multi-sub set up exactly same model. You are free to use a different type and in fact may prove beneficial. For example when helping a friend with 3 subs, 2 of them 10" and 3rd 12" my measurement showed a stubborn partial null at about 70Hz. Floor space was a bit lacking so I brought over a 6.5" little sub in a 9" sealed cube. After some experimentation found it worked wonders placed about 4ft off the floor on a large bookshelf.  Measurement confirmed the the null had improved from -10dB to -4db.  The small sub was about 5ft away at almost ear height so would not need much power but received enough to further smooth out the room response. In fact when turning up the volume on this sub I could fill in that 70Hz completely but raised a nearby peak a couple of dB. I erred on the side of caution to protect the 6.5' driver.

Generally it is best, for easier integration, to stay with sealed boxes. Multi - subs are transformative and I am constantly surprised by the reluctance to accept/ embrace the concept.