Experienced only: What have you done with room correction?

I like to sometimes ask questions just to learn how others have experienced a technology and this is one of those times.

I’m genuinely curious about who has applied automatic room correction, and what your experience was? Did it turn your Monitor Audios into Martin Logans? Your Martin Logans into Wilsons? 😀

Good and bad, but experienced only please!

For the record, I use it for HT now and I’m meh. I had much better luck with manually (with tools) adjusting my miniDSP.  Also, I'm absolutely not looking to buy anything, I just want to read about your experiences because it is fun.

erik_squires

like a TDAI amp, or what?

@holmz Correct.  Back when I heard the TacT correction I was reviewing equipment so really couldn’t use it in my system, but now I’ll absolutely be looking to add some form of RC without a doubt because the benefits are amazing unless maybe you have the flexibility to turn your listening room into an adult romper room.   I now have a tube pre and a completely upgraded McCormack amp so not sure Lyngdorf has something for me (although if they did I’d buy it in a heartbeat if in budget) and I’ll definitely add some GIK room treatments, but I’m also fully intent on incorporating some form of RC in the near future.  Might be as simple as something like a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 or something, but it’s gonna happen because IME the results are more than worth it.  FWIW. 

I started with quitting trying to make a mid sized strange configured room work and moved the 2 channel system to a different larger room. Used calculators to determine how much acoustic treatment where to position, and where to best position speakers and sitting position. The treatement was for the time domain and positioning was for room nodes. I over compensated on room treatement and then removed treatment until it was just right. I used Room EQ Wizard for dialing in my active crossovers and use DSP for minor frequency correction.  

Best thing I ever did for room response was move my sub about 4’ BEHIND my listening position.  Suggested by Paul McGowan of PS Audio.

It really works!

I have used Audessey XT32, YPAO, MCACC, and Dirac. IME, Dirac is probably the best of the bunch.

There are two room correction programs, Audiolense and Acourate, that I have used for 2 channel music and they are next level. Mitch Barnett has written several articles on both of these programs on Audiophilestyle.com. Mitch is the proprietor of Accurate Sound and offers DSP room correction service for those that don’t want to spend the time learning the programs. He is extremely knowledgeable and patient. These programs reside on your laptop. One measures their listening room with a calibrated mic and develops convolution filters that are loaded into ROON or JRiver. The improvement is not subtle. Highly recommended.

I gave up and built a dedicated room to the specs of the U of Salford's School of Acoustics. I put record shelves and book shelves behind the speakers on the long wall and added 2 woofers. Magic!