What is the “World’s Best Cartridge”?

I believe that a cartridge and a speaker, by far, contribute the most to SQ.

The two transducers in a system.

I bit the bulllet and bought a Lyra Atlas SL for $13K for my Woodsong Garrard 301 with Triplanar SE arm. I use a full function Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp. My $60K front end. It is certainly, by far, the best I have owned. I read so many comments exclaiming that Lyra as among the best. I had to wait 6 months to get it. But the improvement over my excellent $3K Mayijima Shilabi was spectacular-putting it mildly.

I recently heard a demo of much more pricy system using a $25K cartridge. Seemed to be the most expensive cartridge made. Don’t recall the name.

For sure, the amount of detail was something I never heard. To hear a timpani sound like the real thing was incredible. And so much more! 
This got me thinking of what could be possible with a different kind of cartridge than a moving coil. That is, a moving iron.

I have heard so much about the late Decca London Reference. A MI and a very different take from a MC. Could it be better? The World’s Best? No longer made.

However Grado has been making MI cartridges for decades. Even though they hold the patent for the MC. Recently, Grado came out with their assault on “The World’s Best”. At least their best effort. At $12K the Epoch 3. I bought one and have been using it now for about two weeks replacing my Lyra. There is no question that the Atlas SL is a fabulous cartridge. But the Epoch is even better. Overall, it’s SQ is the closest to real I have heard. To begin, putting the stylus down on the run in grove there is dead silence. As well as the groves between cuts. This silence is indicative of the purity of the music content. Everything I have read about it is true. IME, the comment of one reviewer, “The World’s Best”, may be true.

mglik

I'm still very curious if anyone has had the pleasure of listening to the MSL Gold Sig vs. Platnium Sig in the same system and can tell me the differences. 

Thanks in advance

I am fully on board with the Japanese Craftmanship in their Traditional Tool Making. I would love to spend time with a Skill that is replicating woodworking traditions that extend back a Thousand Years that have evolved into various established Traditions, that have been strictly followed for many hundreds of years, with the Tools required and Skills needed to produce this work being passed on through generations of families.

The Smithing Traditions and Skills required to produce the Steel and Tools is sharing a history that shares very similar culture as the Products produced with the Tools.

The Layered Steel required to produce the Tools, comes from Ancient Tradition, the Traditions of the Swordsmith will always come to the forefront in most discussions.  These are one area of Smithing, there are disciplines for working with Steel that are highly sought, such as producing Tamahagane Steel, families are Three to Four Generations Old carrying out this discipline and there are Apprentices from these families' forges having produced these Steels as an apprentice and Smith for more than 60 years, a life's work to preserve a tradition.

I get it and I get the ritualistic disciplines to remain faithful to the preservation of the disciplines.

Where I am not getting it, is how Japanese National who has a recognised Skill for producing a product that belongs to a very modern world, who is marrying a selection of Modern Materials to assemble a very modern world product, is selected as an individual to be offering the Heritage of the Smith and Carpenter. 

Ikea is a Designer of Carpentry and very modern. Ortofon is a Designer of Cartridges and share a very modern history almost the same as Ikea, but a little longer as an established Brand Name.

My Take on it, is that all Cartridges that are of Interest to the user of a Vinyl LP as a Source Material, are a Modernistic Design and dependant on modern technologies to perform to the standards that are expected. It might be an attractive idea, to bring a Tradition to the Design when considering an Aesthetic or USP, but this tradition when added certainly is not a requirement for a Cartridge to Function.

If I were to follow the Instructions in a Cabinet Makers Text Book and apply a Heritage Coating such as a Shellac Finish on to an Item of Ikea Designed and Produced furniture. I fail to see how this can not acceptably present itself as a comparison to any modern product, that coated with a Heritage Coating.

Urushi on a Cart' Body, Shellac on Ikea.

Realisation both are precision produced with a design that is attractive to many, but neither are Born from Generations of Handed Down Heritage.

If a modern product is supplied in Presentation / Storage / Transportation Box, that has very attractive features and is possibly even hand produced by a Craftsman with Heritage Skills, this does not transfer to the Modern Product contained within, the Product in the Box, only has a Heritage back to the time it appeared as marketable product.

A Cart' is a Sacrificial Part to be used, it comes with various design options and a wide range in pricing to acquire such a part. If one chooses to extend their purchasing to the upper end of the pricing scale, that is fine, as said I have interest in a Cart' from this Pricing end and want to encounter one for the experience.

I certainly won't be creating fantastical reasons as to the reason it should be acquired. It is either an attractive item in use and as a result of the impression made, become a worthwhile consideration as a Purchase, or it is not.  

**** If I were to follow the Instructions in a Cabinet Makers Text Book and apply a Heritage Coating such as a Shellac Finish on to an Item of Ikea Designed and Produced furniture. I fail to see how this can not acceptably present itself as a comparison to any modern product, that coated with a Heritage Coating. ****

Wow!  No offense intended, but really?  It’s been maybe five years since I have bought a piece designed/produced by IKEA, so I suppose it’s possible that unbeknownst to me the quality of materials used and care in assembly has experienced a major uptick.  But, I don’t see it.  Those are just two things that a great craftsman can bring to the table (no pun) that completely elude most mass producers.  

The context being, the era of evolving designs such as Ikea Furniture and the Phono Cartridge Designs for the Vinyl LP at 331/3 and 45 RPM share a very similar time in history.

No matter what one does to them, in their attempts to attach the products to a desirable Heritage, there is no Heritage associated with the Design and Production of the modern world items, that spans back to the Period of History, where the Craftsmanship is revered, valued, protected and preserved.

That element of association is clever marketing, especially through a Models Naming being related to a Tradition, followed with the idea intimated of being Craftsmen Produced, or when an aesthetic is being added as a coating to a part belonging to the assembly, that is being awarded the status as a 10000-year old ancient tradition. Not one of these cleverly dropped in messages, is able to produce a Cartridge to an improved level, these are there to appeal to certain clientele and be persuasive in their content. Then there are those who actually believe the spiel. 

A person was once intercepted by a TV Team and asked on a TV interview, if they were in any way influenced by the methods used for Marketing Alcohol.

The person made it known they were absolutely not under any influence.

The person was then asked what their drink of choice was, which was made known to be Guiness.

The person was then asked why they would choose to drink Guiness, to which the reply was 'it's good for you'.     

Mijo, I hope you know that my question was not meant to upstage you. I was merely looking for the information you've kindly now provided.  I've hooked up my BMC to three different low output, low internal impedance cartridges, and I can confirm the relationship between impedances and apparent gain.  This is as theory predicts, but still it is quite interesting to me to experience it.