To pricey

Hello was looking at a pair of B&W 804d or 803d but so expensive are they worth it.  ????

801d

I love my 803D3s.

I think they are worth it.

Your opinion is all that matters.

People who have purchased it are inclined to say "yes" for various reasons.

Perhaps you're curious what other options might be viable of this type, price, kind of speaker.

No not to me. B&W are well made (800 series) and detailed but they get the fundamentals of frequency response wrong which is far more important than fancy materials.

I had a private demo of the of the 802D4 on McIntosh MC611 mono amps and 2700 preamp ($70k worth of gear) came home and listened to my “budget” $25,000 stereo (picture in my profile) and mine was simply better. Perceived details were just as good and the frequency response was much smoother. I had bass slam with duel subs the 802D4 simply could not touch. Don’t get me wrong the 802D4 have good enough bass but near the same league as well integrated subs.

the 802D4 and every other B&W for that matter (I have owned a few) have peaky mids with peaky highs. The 802D4 specifically makes male singers sound thin and seems to collapse to the mid driver. The highs are good/fun but play it loud for 45 minutes, it will be less fun. For me this speaker is only for someone older who has some hearing loss in. That is not meant to be negative. We are all at different stages in age/hearing. 

Anyway B&W are not terrible speakers. They look nice and are super detailed. Just comes down to if you can put up with the peaks in the upper mids and highs. The smaller models have crap bass. 

I have not heard the 804D4 but the measurements give me a moment of pause. They make that nice quality box then tune in a giant port noise peak?!?, crazy. 

You may want to take a listen to the new 700 series TAS reports that they sound terrific almost reaching the 800 series in sound at a fraction of the price.