Ultrasonic record cleaners

I have a modest lp collection, mixed bag of original college age purchases, used records before the current renewed interest, and some newer albums to replace some older issues from the p mount needle days.  Have a vpi 16 machine and audio intelligent form 6 fluid. I’m not finding a significant improvement on my noisier issues.  The price of ultrasonic cleaners have come down to a price I would consider.  Appreciate the experiences of those who have purchased the ultrasonic machines, are they superior to my vpi and are the less expensive models effective?

TIA

tennisdoc56

@pindac,

When you cleaned the camera lens did you use the tiger-cloth dry, or did you use your lens cleaning solution and try to dry with the tiger-cloth? 

When you use sponge & tiger-cloth for record drying, do you wear gloves?  

What specific sponge are you using?  How do you get the water out of the sponge after use and how do you store it?

In between cleaning steps, do you rinse/dry your free-hand (that works the brush) a little which will pick up some cleaning agent?  I have a lint-free microfiber cloth that I hang and grab it with my free-hand to somewhat dry it between steps to minimize cleaner carryover noting that when I go to dry with the sponge, it's the same free hand that was working the brush with the cleaners. 

The tiger-cloth is not very absorbent - so if used with a lens cleaning solution, it may not remove the lens cleaning solution enough to prevent leaving a residue.  If used dry it could just smear what was on the lens.

Again, for record drying, the tiger-cloth is not used to dry the record.  Instead, it takes the water left behind by the PVA sponge and absorbs some (but not much), but mostly it spread outs the water to a thin uniform film which then dries quickly.  Otherwise, water droplets can take over an hour to dry.  

After cleaning six records - my PVA sponge is very wet (I just ring-it out) but the Tiger-cloth is barely damp.  

In the meantime, I have used the same tiger-cloth as I address in the book over 500-times w/o problems.  Any haze is readily evident on the lead-in groove and the dead-wax (run-out) areas.  I have contaminated a PVA sponge and the haze was evident - I tossed it (reproposed for floor cleaning) and got a new one.  

I do wear Gloves during cleaning and sleeving the dried LPs.

I do not wear Gloves whilst assembling or putting the cleaning items away.

I have a batch of Sponges, and as I only Clean Six LPs in one session as the average, the sponges absorb hardly any water as a new one is used for an LP.

A Sponge might get used on a second occasion if I run out of Dry Sponges, when an additional LP is to be cleaned but this is rare now, the habit is for six

The Lens was dry when the T'cloth was used to clean the Protective Filter.

As said, I do not view this as a concern for the process of cleaning a LP, unless there is something to be added as a contribution that would identify it as a condition present that is of a concern.    

It is really something, the formulas and recipes that sounded like a good idea at the time. Best left in this case to a chemist who understands the chemical makeup of that which is to be cleaned, using the safest and most effective products.

Then let's take to another microscopically delicate area, the stylus, and pull out a razor sharp blade to whittle of chunks of burned on dirt. Don't worry, it's a diamond, you can't hurt it. Where's my Mr. Clean magic eraser? You have an added benefit if you own a unipivot tonearm. Take it off the TT, and hold it tight between yer knees. Now you can really wreak havoc on grime.

That's how it's done in the clean room boys.

Sanctus from Bach Mass in B Minor conducted by Karl Richter.

First clean VPI with Walker 4 step.

Second clean Audio Desk.

After cleaning with the Audio Desk there is a quantum leap in sound quality compared to the VPI only cleaned record. More detail and warmer in tone at the same time.

Guess that rig.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rhHcKSXormI?feature=share

Nagra Phono stage, Nagra Pre, Manley 440 and 500, Super ET8, Hsu subwoofer, NBS wire.

An ultrasonic cleaner or any cleaner for that matter is not going to fix a noisy record. You will have a clean noisy record just like you have now. You are better off spending money on new quiet records.