Dedicated circuits

I just completed installing 2 dedicated circuits. After reading several threads here, I went with 30 amp breakers with 10 AWG wire with high end receptacles. One circuit for the amp and the other for everything else. I’m blown away by the difference. Tighter bass, not as bright, better imaging and soundstage. Should have done this long ago. 

z32kerber

I think I know where the mistake in VA is coming from.  Too little understanding of the math around transformers.

For an ideal transformer (without losses) the VA on the input equals the VA on the output, however!! If the V on the input drops, V*A is less on input, therefore V*A is less on output.

Transformers are often used in voltage regulators, but they do their magic by altering the output taps.  Most linear gear is not this lucky, but most line level gear is well regulated so 20% voltage changes won't matter.  Amps are not so lucky.

OP:  There may be a little confusion because of 120 V 15A outlets.  It is legally acceptable to put these on 20A circuits, but this is the only place I know of where this is true. As I recall this is more to do with the likelihood of having multiple outlets on the same circuit, so you want a little extra current rating to support multiple appliances.

Anything rated for more usually doesn't share a circuit.

@bigtwin Wrote:

@dpop Wow!! That’s a 30 amp plug alright. I’m confused by your comment. The specs on the crown amp show it’s draws 0.75 amps at idle. My Hegel H30s put out the same power as the Crown.

The Crown Studio Reference I output power:

Stereo mode (with both channels driven):

1,160 watts into 4 ohms.

780 watts into 8 ohms.

Mike

Post removed 

My takeaway from the above:

A 20 amp receptical should never terminate a 15 amp line. A very reasonable rule.

A 15 amp breaker will trip earier than a 20 amp breaker when used in a 20 amp line.  Electrically this may be safer however may not be code in many locales.

Insurance companies may care more about what is code than what one might percieve as safer when it comes to claimes.

If one feels the need to overkill the power supply side of your audio system regardless of one's thoughts to the sink requirements do so using an approach that is safe and follows code.