Primaluna or not Primaluna

Hej

I have been hesitated some time now between buying new speakers or a new amplifier and have decided I will buy a new amplifier.

My list of demands:
It will take EL34, KT77, KT88 and 6550. Bonus if it takes KT120.
It will give at least 35 w with EL34 and 45 w with KT88.
It will have easy biasing using a screwdriver and with somekind of build in meter. In worst case autobiase will do.
It will use tube rectification and not solid state rectification (because I have heard solid state rectification takes away the tube sound).
It will not cost more than aprox $4000.

I have had a Line Magnetic LM-34IA once but had to much problems with the quality (bad solderings and bad balance between left and right).
First I thought it sounded quite good, but after have heard a Audion Audio Stirling EL34 SET amplifier I changed my mind. Now the LM-34AI sounded just OK.
I was told that Stirling EL34, with 12 w should be enough for listening at normal volumes with my 89dB speakers. But it was not. So here I am…
(And yes I know; a push-pull amp will never sound as a SET amp).

I have read about several amplifiers but none of them seems to fit my demands.

Here are my notes:
Line Magnetic LM-88IA   -   Just KT88. Bad experience with LM, both quality and sound.
Audio Research I/50   -   Just 6550 tubes. Too much hassle when adjusting bias.
Rogue Cronus Magnum III   -   Very mixed opinions. Solid state rectification.
Raven Blackhawk Mk 3.1   -   Just 6L6 tubes. Have to be imported from the US.
Tsakiridis Aelos Plus   -  Just KT88 tubes.
Fezz Silver Luna Prestige   -   Just EL34 tubes.
Fezz Titania   -   Just KT120 tubes (and maybe KT150 and KT170 too).
Cary SLI-80HS   -   Many bad opinions. Solid state rectification.
Jadis   -   Either too weak or too expencive.
Primaluna   -   ???

What makes me a little ”worried” is that Primaluna has so many build in features which are supposed to make my life as a tube amplifier owner easier.
I mean, doesn’t these fetures affect the sound? ”Less is more”?

If you have any thoughts or experience about this, please let me know.

simna

@immatthewj , I found mine on eBay out of the UK. $220 for 4. Brand new in the box. Clean living?

As an owner of two Primaluna Dialogue Seven Monoblocks my take is if you want tube sound you can't do much better,  especially for the money.  I put extra into a Cary Audio SLP-05 preamp.  System sounds fantastic.  

I own Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP and EVO 400 amps... not integrated....! Also Quicksilver V4 and Mono 120/KT 150 tubes. Audible Illusions M3b preamp. All the above tube amps are great sounding with VonSchweikert and Totem speakers. Quicksilver output transformers unavailability has rendered the Quicksilver amps discontinued. Primaluna winds there own. Go figure. Transformer manufacturers out of business in USA. Oh, there are good ss amps like Bedini 25/25 Phase II for driving stacked Quads(single amp) and Acoustat 2+2s and other speakers. Tube rectification? No thanks with power amp. Primaluna is vere very good with AI tube preamp(or First Sound Pre.) Just my opinion. USA or China, I appreciate quality design/parts/assembly which is found in all the above mentioned products.....😎

Haven't seen this one mentioned yet --- the LSA VT-70 from Underwood Audio.  I bought one recently and am really enjoying it.  Comes with EL-34 tubes but you can also use 6550s or KT88s.  Bias is easy with built-in meters.  It uses SS rectification but I don't consider that a negative.  Remember that opinions in this hobby are a dime a dozen.  I'm using the amp (35 w/ch) with Spendor 4/5 speakers which are only 84 dB sensitive, but easily reach my listening level of 85 dB without strain.  There have been a number of reviews with lots of praise, and all surprised at just how good the amp is for the price.  Hard to go wrong with the current intro price of $1,300.  No regrets on my part!  (But then that is just another opinion....)

ne of the best amps and most beautiful I heard was from a company called Margules and it’s exactly what you were asking for, 50 watts/ch pure class A with KT88’s... And get this Margules is made in Mexico City, the company is like 80 years old making pro audio. Not only were these one of the best sounding amps at the show IMO, they are beautiful, awesome self biasing servo system, beautiful wood side panels and mirror polished copper plate, just gorgeous and in the same price range as Prima Luna about $5k, just so cool and unique. 

I second the Margules. It's pretty fantastic, one of the best I've heard, but if we're talking about the same one (model u280 SC), they cost $10K. At least mine did!