The one time you want to pull out but she says no.

Ok sorry but I will summarize as short as possible. I have a stupid entertainment drywall niche. it's 2feet deep by 10feet wide.  That said I have ml 60xt tower speakers, and I think they would sound better if I could only pull them out another 2 feet but I can't due to aesthetic reasons, ok its mostly my better half that won't  let that fly.  So are there any towers under 10k that would work or should I be looking at bookshelves with subs.  my the living room is about 20 x 20 with 10feet ceilings.  

trevanian

Plus one @twoleftears and I’ll add, put some masking tape on the floor to mark where your speakers sound their best, so you can easily put the speakers back when you want and you won’t have to fiddle whit getting them just right again.

If this isn’t an option, look for speakers that are ported in the front , not in the back,.  They don’t have to be pulled out nearly as far. Some only need a few inches!

All the best.

Check out Volti Audio Razz. Really good, very efficient, front ported & will likely sound good against the wall although imaging for virtually any speaker might suffer a bit positioned this way. 

Put casters on them.

As the man said....

Or, put them on a small platform with casters on said platform.

That means you can pull out when you want.