Can someone help me pick out my first speakers?

I am not tech-savvy at all, and I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, but I'm looking for a pair of small decent home speakers for music in the $300 range.

I've heard people on reddit discourage people from buying Beats and Bose but that's the extent of my knowledge! Can someone recommend a pair of speakers to me? Or direct me to the correct subreddit if I'm not in the right place?

Thank you!

pehrafano

Yes- People can suggest what to buy and where to shop.

No- People can't tell you what you will like best.

Get out the shovel and start digging!!

Get a pair of Dayton Audio BR1s in kit form. Not only are they a solid pair of music reproducers, you will have the added awareness of what goes into a speaker besides a credit card swipe. 
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-BR-1-6-1-2-2-Way-Bookshelf-Monitor-Speaker-Kit-300-640
If you need an amplifier to power them try to track down a Yamaha RN303 if you can find one.  

If RN303 is not available or too costly another very affordable option is this one:

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-PRO-100W-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-USB-DAC-IR-Remote-and-Sub-Output-300-3835
Add a smartphone with access to YouTube or Spotify and you’re golden for under half a $G. 

Reviews for Energy RC-10 are very very strong, plus I owned a pair for about 15 years and just recently upgraded. They were terrific for music (Video requires a bit more bass, but then there are subs for that). They are very strong for less than $300 and great bass for bookshelf speakers, pretty efficient so they play loud and can handle a lot of power as well. Very well built, bi-amp-able.... plus, if you can find them in rose... they are arguably the best looking speakers you’ll find at most any price. I won’t be selling mine even though I don’t have a use for them at the moment.

edit.... link;

Search amazon or other locations.  Mine are original... not Klipsch so can't say about that.

Your best option (in my not so humble opinion) is to buy a pair of Vanatoo speakers.

But, wait... you're not only buying a pair of speakers. You are buying an amp and a preamp with optical... With Bluetooth connectivity, I use my phone to stream music through these small bookshelf speakers that sound like floor standing full range monsters.

Check them out on the web and Youtube.