Can someone help me pick out my first speakers?

I am not tech-savvy at all, and I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, but I'm looking for a pair of small decent home speakers for music in the $300 range.

I've heard people on reddit discourage people from buying Beats and Bose but that's the extent of my knowledge! Can someone recommend a pair of speakers to me? Or direct me to the correct subreddit if I'm not in the right place?

Thank you!

pehrafano

Do you mind telling us what other components you may have to go with your system? This might help narrow down the possibilities. I agree with some of the other posts here---if you can audition in person, great. If not, purchase speakers that have a return policy like Crutchfield or Music Direct. Best of luck! 

Check out emotiva they have a very good little monitor  speaker with a AMT tweeter, then save $499 for a Svs pro subwoofer that has a great app to control 

many functions from your seating area ,just buy a decent stand and fill it with play sand. For under $300 Audio advisor.

I have the Wharfedale Diamond 220's in my second system and haven't replaced them for a reason.

Although discontinued, Amazon has the 220's for $250.00.

IMO, Wharfedale at any price point is an incredible value for what you get.