Aurender

I have a Korean car, watch KDramas and even listen to some KPop, but I don’t get what Aurender is doing.

I’m currently in digital hold given that my new Holo DAC died, but intend on listening to my IFi Zen stream and look at upgrade paths.

Some of the most respected members of this forum swear by Aurender, so it must deliver, but here is my point of confusion:

1. Coax and AES are the preferred outputs, but higher bandwidths require dual AES out, but I don’t have dual in on my DAC.

2. Aurender’s top models claim to have great clocks, so why not pass this on to the DAC via I2s?

3. Top Aurenders accept external clocks and I assume this is used with a DAC that accepts external clocks, but why bother when I2s would take care of this?

4. The argument against I2s is that there isn’t a standard, but this isn’t a problem in most implementations.

I’m sure that I have misrepresented things above, so please correct my understanding.

vonhelmholtz

Great topic, many valuable opinions, Thank you!

I have an N20. I also have the Holo May KTE DAC.

I can say without hesitation the Aurender Conductor App has been a very good experience. I owned a Lumen D2 and the Naim Streamer DAC solutions prior to my current setup. In both cases, the Conductor App has been more intuitive and reliable, IOS and Android are prevalent in my home, neither have been an issue.

Finding the right combination Aurender settings an interconnects has been the challenge. With all the variables (DSD to PCM, AES, USB, LOW Pass Filter, Upsampling level options, etc..)  It is literally picking a lock! I have purchased many different interconnects, all very good. I,ve found many times sound quality depends on the recording, not the Conductor settings or interconnects. 

I have spoken to both Tim at Holo and Ari at Aurender, great guys, experts in their respective verticals, but hesitant to recommend a comprehensive setting or interconnect configuration.

I am not technical, the science is too broad.  There is so much content and expertise on this thread. If anyone cares to potentially narrow down a couple best in class settings to recommend, I would really appreciate it, I.E. Low Pass Filter Setting, DSD to PCM or not, upsample or not,  interconnect, etc...

Much Appreciated 

@mkdm11

I enjoyed my time with N20 immensely (paired with EMM Labs DA2). I believe N20 holds a sweet spot if you can utilize all of its brilliant features. As far as settings goes, my recommendation would be to play with each setting and keep what sounds best to your ears. The same applies to digital output, AES vs USB. All of these choices are subjective…I guess my point is it would be a shame to not explore all the features on a transport like N20 :-)

When I had my N20, I did not prefer any upsampling or DSD conversion. I had my N20 connected using both AES (for files upto 24bit/192kHz) and USB for DSD’s. Another thing I really appreciated was CLM (critical listening mode) in N20. It further drops the noise floor and allows you appreciate quiet passages and space between instruments.

Use best digital cables you can afford. And lastly, if you have not yet; tweak your Ethernet signal with a passive filter from Network Acoustics’s ENO or Muon. They will further relax the sound and take off any digital edge or grunge.

I intentionally held back my feedback on one of the most important feature of N20, the clock input. PM me if you are curious about the master clock input. 

Would you please share rest of your system?

Lalita,

Thank you for the response/insight.

I don`t domuch upsampling, I am having better success with NOS at the DAC (44k) via USB. THE Aurender is set similarly at basic levels.  (I guess thats where my confusion originates. (Tons of options,, basic sounds best,, concerned I am overlooking something). I have AES "Front Row", USB AQ Coffee and Nodost SPDIF. From the Modem Small Green Computer to Fibre, back to ethernet to English Switch, AQ Vodka to N20.

Pre BAT REX II, AMP PASS XA60.8, 2 REL S510`s, Paradigm Persona F7, All Frey 2, Equi-Tek power conditioner.

Ted Smith, the PS Audio engineer/designer/educator cleared up my I2s misconceptions.  Paul has promoted I2s as being superior because of the shared clock..at least this was my interpretation of what he said.  Ted explained that USB and I2s are processed the same.  Any clock signal supplied by I2s is ignored.  The main downside to USB is the noise created by the power running parallel to the data line.  I contacted Tim at Kitsune HiFi and it seems that USB/I2s are handled by the Holo the same way.

op

we can use any hard drive as per the teac ripper it doesnt add much to the cost and having a ripper can be nice addition.

Carlsbad you do need cpu horsepower to run roon the aurender cpu is not capable  of running Roon got that directly from aurender at axponna a few years ago.

it is not a matter of performance some of the worlds best servers run Roon including the $35,000.00  Taiko Extreme the innous statement the 432EVO servers 

all of these products are cores and endpoints in one 

Dave and Troy

Audio intellect nj

roon server experts