PS Audio Directstream DAC?

Any thoughts on the PS Audio Directstream DAC used? Seems like a used one can still be relevant because of the software updates.

I’m looking for a very analog sounding DAC—I do not need every ounce of detail.

Open to other options too (used) in the 3k category.

w123ale

Well, this is all very encouraging feedback—I might have to give one a try. What do you all think about hr bridge as a streamer? I have an Aurender which I assume would be better, but could be nice cost savings and make for a cleaner system if the Bridge could compete. I don’t love the McConnector app but guess I could live with it:

Oh, I should also add, when buying used does it matter if it is an older unit that has been upgraded from a Mk II to a Directstream? Or is it better to go for a newer unit?

@w123ale Even if you have an older Aurender, I would leverage that for the streaming and serving. It is documented on PS Audio forums, and it is the same for  my experience, that the Bridge II introduces some digital noise and is a bit fatiguing compared to external streamers. I heard improved performance by removing it. 

From my first post, I want to clarify that I am a very big supporter of this DAC even though I don’t classify it as analog sounding. I tend to be very critical of these things and have gotten spoiled being able to play with a lot of electronics in the $15-40K range. In its price range, especially used, it is very, very good. 

With the number of used units popping up, definitely invest in a latest generation unit vs one that has been upgraded from the PerfectWave DAC. the two may sound sonically equivalent but the native DirectStream will be years newer and likely offer better longevity. The PS Audio warranty is also fully transferable and you might be able to find a used unit with some warranty remaining. 

@blisshifi 

I've read some on the EDCORE transformer upgrades but no one really talks about it changes the sound.  What is the sonic signature change with the transformer swap?

it's a great sounding DAC, especially at current used prices. There will be no more updates for this model, as new one coming out soon.. PS Audio website has lots of conversation about upgrades. And yes, any of the previous firmware versions are available and easy to change back and forth...